We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Gps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Which Gps

With Christmas presents in mind we are debating the relative merits of GPS systems. We have a Navman and can buy maps for Europe, but they only seem to come out late in the year.

So experiences please with TomTom and Garmin. Accuracy, features, map updates, voices etc.

Thanks

Lynn

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Gps

TomTom! I have 2 of them and they *never* say 'recalculating'! ;^)

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Gps

I use TomTom. If you speak/read French, this website is very useful:

www.tomtomheaven.com

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
2,311 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Gps

We have a Garmin, which came with European maps; it's served us well on a few trips to France. We've never updated the maps but probably should.

And alas, they do say "recalculating"!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Gps

Parisamsterdam, what do they say when you don't follow the route they suggest?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,915 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Gps

I mostly see TomTom and Garmin in the shops and store circulars.

I have a Garmin and have no complaints other than the usual gripes most folks have about their GPS.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Gps

After pouring over the many reviews, I came to the conclusion that all gps units had problems. Failed on hot days, too long to acquire a signal, lost signal too easily, voice recognition didn't work, not to mention the mapping errors that assumed 100kph on dirt tracks and failed to take into account roads that were vertically separated. Very few problems seemed to be identified by the reviewer, but by those who had subsequently bought a unit. Eventually, I bought a Garmin 1390 3 months ago. Got it from Dick Smith so after driving 600km over a weekend on roads I knew well, I was able to return it for a full refund. I was unhappy with the inconsistent voice directions especially when approaching roundabouts. It depended on the distance from the previous instruction but sometimes it correctly spoke the exit to take ,eg. "in 600 metres at the roundabout, take the 3rd exit" (or words to that effect) and other times it simply instructed "in 600 metres, approach the roundabout". Then it wasn't until I was actually at the roundabout that it instructed which exit to take. A bit late then when the roundabout approach has lanes.

I replaced that with the cheapest 3.5 inch model I could find from Uniden and have no complaints. I got the iGo35 with OZ and NZ maps for around A$70

I don't need this for Europe though as the cars I lease there all have inbuilt gps. However, one of the benefits with the Uniden which may be available on other models, is the ability to Rent-a-Map for U$9.95 a month. I tried this out for a relative that was going to UK and it was a breeze to download and install and he didn't get lost.

www.naviextras.com/shop/portal

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,402 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Gps

We already have a Navman and it has worked quite well. Its approach to roundabouts is either "in 600m at the roundabout, take the second exit xxx rd" or "in 600m at the roundabout continue straight xxx rd" We have had a few routes where it wanted us to go down cow tracks and a few places where it totally contravenes the road signs.

We just find the lack of the latest maps is annoying as they only seem to happen once a year for Navman. I think it is a NZ company so it mightn't have the user base to do it more often.

I note we can't register our Navman on that site you referenced or that might solve the problem of the out of date maps.

Thanks for the info. We will consider.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,502 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Gps

Hi Lynn

Navman are based in NZ but were bought by a European company a couple of years back. Scandanavian, I believe. They may go by another name in Europe.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Gps

Lynn,

If I take a turn other than what the TomTom has planned it often says nothing at all but redoes the route on the fly. Occasionally it says "turn around if possible" but when I don't it *silently* recalculates a new route.

I have both a simple TomTom One Third Edition and a 920 that has bells and whistles like voice input, hands free cell phone calling, MP3, photo viewer etc. Neither has given me any problem.

From what I have read and heard from others, TomTom offers more options on how to plan a route than some competitors. There is also the excellent third party program called "TYRE" that integrates with TomToms and uses Google Earth or Google Maps for route planning.

Rob

Edited: 03 December 2011, 04:02
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
646 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Gps

Hi Lynn & Nick,

We used a Tom Tom (GO730) for 5.600km in Europe in 2009 with only three glitches.

For 5 weeks in Ireland and UK in October/November (2000km) this year just downloaded UK maps for AUD$55 in SD card in the 2 year old GPS and off we went again.

4 glitches on this occasion, however, as you are aware the GPS just re-calibrates and puts you back on track.

My initial research revealed that Tom Tom is a Dutch company, ideally suited to European driving.

I guess a question that you could explore is where the system will be used?.

I have been told that the US brands are more suited to US ?

Tom Tom's communication and customer support is very good. Provides regular map updates.

Alan

Edited: 03 December 2011, 05:20