We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French road trip with dog.

london
4 posts
Save Topic
French road trip with dog.

Hi, we are starting to plan a 10 day road trip to France from the UK in April.

We are hoping to travel to Bordeaux and back with our 10 month old french bulldog.

We would like help with finding pet friendly hotels or B&B's.

plus any ideas of nice towns to visit along the way.

Our interests include Lovely food and wine, cheeses and off the track towns.

thanks for you help

Aaron

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French road trip with dog.

I presume you're going from Calais to Bordeaux - and do you intend to visit Paris - or not?

london
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: French road trip with dog.

Hey,

we were hoping to avoid Paris as we have been there before and would like to avoid it.

I was thinking of driving though the rural areas and smaller towns, possibly though Rouen and Angers.

any ideas?

thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French road trip with dog.

A reasonably direct route would be going Calais >> Abbeville >> Caen >> Avranches >> Vitre >> Nantes >>La Rochelle >> Bordeaux.

But it depends on whether you want to go mainly by motorway and tolls or just meander down on the quieter but slower roads.

There are literally hundreds of towns and villages on the 550 mile journey to Bordeaux.

Have a look at these sites for villages that may be of some interest to you and any of them on your route would be worth a visit.

www.villagesdefrance.free.fr/

www.les-plus-beaux-villages-de-france.org/en

We set off last year for La Rochelle from Calais on a two week holiday but never got that far as we found so many interesting places to see and things to do.

Almost all major hotel chains throughout France allow dogs, well behaved obviously, and most other hotels and B&Bs accept them as long as you inform them beforehand – France is very dog friendly.

If you find a Vet for the Pet Passport scheme on your way back could you let me know if it is ok or not as I've compiled a recommended Vets List and hope to add extra Vets throughout this year.

I could let you have a copy of the List, 80 vets and counting, if you would like one.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French road trip with dog.

France is the most dog friendly country in the entire world. I would not hesitate taking my dog on vacation with me.

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French road trip with dog.

I second Sarastro's comment: take a kid to a restaurant, and you may be frowned upon, but a dog ...no problem!

A cousin of mine took me to Valentino in Paris with her dog!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: French road trip with dog.

If you use the hotel search facility on www.viamichelin.com, one of the options you can specify is whether the hotel accepts pets.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French road trip with dog.

P.S. I recommend that you get a travel crate for your dog to sleep in. It will be much happier to sleep in its own space than if forced to adapt to different surroundings every evening, which it may well find threatening. Our dog pads around hotel rooms constantly at night and feels the need to guard us (by woofing at any unusual noise) unless he is in his crate. As you can imagine, that becomes a little wearing after a while. For a dog that young, a non-chewable metal crate might be best, and you can cover the top with a towel so he feels relaxed.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French road trip with dog.

At least the new rules to have your dog wormed make life much easier and you can stop at a vet further from Calais. I have decided that the cost of a pet passport vet visit is inversely proportional to the distance from the ferry port!

I will try and dig out details of vets we have used in the past for our well travelled border collie!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French road trip with dog.

railenthusiast - I will try and dig out details of vets we have used in the past for our well travelled border collie!

That would be appreciated.

The French Vets List I've compiled has prices last year ranging from €15 to €60 for one dog although prices should drop for this year as the Vet is required to do less under the new regulations.

Most European countries are well within the five days now allowed for treatment and I've started to add countries such as Germany, Switzerland and Spain.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,172 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French road trip with dog.

Have a careful word with your home Vet too.

The Pet Passport scheme is designed to protect people, not pets!

Although the rules on vaccinations and blood testing have been greatly relaxed and the requirements are few might seem like a good thing, forwarned is forearmed!! It is worth being aware of other diseases that could be contracted in France, that are a danger to your pet itself, and how to protect them against these things.

The dangers are relatively few if you take care, but French dogs in certain areas have natural immunity to some conditions that are potentially deadly for UK dogs who have never been exposed to them, like Babesia.