We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

We are three couples looking to go on a villa holiday in June 2013 and I would love some advice as to where to go. We went to St Tropez/Gassin/Ramatuelle last year and thoroughly enjoyed it and are now looking for our next spot!

We love our food and wine and prefer small charming villages, ideally within half an hour's drive of the coast but this isn't essential. We would like to spend our days at markets/doing shopping, cooking, visiting wine farms and drinking plenty of the produce (!), sightseeing and occasionally going to the beach if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions - could be Southern France or Corsica or anywhere really beautiful in Spain (not Ronda or that area as we have already been there).

Similarly, if anyone knows of any great villas in these areas, please let me know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Calais Wine Superstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
Set In Paris Movie Tours
Bus Tours, Walking Tours, Film & TV Tours, Shopping Tours
Shakespeare and Company Bookstore
Libraries, Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
La Maison du Biscuit
Gift & Speciality Shops
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

How about Western Provence ? Lots of wonderful historical sites ( both Roman and Medieval ) , great food, a bunch of well-known and highly regarded significant wine-areas relatively nearby ( Chateauneuf-du-Papes, Vacqueyras, etc ...), lots of awesome local markets, AND loads of wonderful restaurants featuring the best seasonal / regional food.

We're totally hooked on the area, and have been spending every September there since '95 - as of today, it's only another 194 days until we're back in the place that we consider to be "Heaven on Earth." As you can probably tell, we can't wait.

While you say that you are seeking a "villa," that can accomodate three couples, it is not clear whether yoiu are looking for a place/house that will accomodate 3 couples, or, a place that will provide three separate apartments / wings - hope to hear from you soon, with more specific information regarding your housing desires.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

Thanks for your reply and advice!

I hadn't thought of western Provence but its a fantastic idea as it ticks all the boxes. Are there any specific villages that you can recommend we stay in?

In terms of accommodation, we are looking for a 3-4 bedroom house that we can rent for a week. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

It has to be said that the whole of Southern France (Provence, the Languedoc, Midi Pyrenees and Acquitaine) and Corsica will tick all your boxes - this vast area has countless charming towns and villages, vineyards, markets and beaches. It would probably be better if you were to read up a bit on each region and then ask us more specific questions about any areas or towns which look interesting to you.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

We rent an apartment from In Lux when we are in Cannes, and the company has villa rentals in other towns in the Cote d'Azur. I can vouch for their services and the quality of the place where we stay and others that have been leased by colleagues. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the villas on this site. If nothing else, searching this site will tick your brain to see if this might be of interest to you. These aren't inexpensive rentals, but rates aren't as painful when they are divided among couples as they are on one's own. :-)

http://www.inlux.ch/

Our contact at In Lux is Klaus, and during our stay, he has been more the helpful and responsive. This won't be as much a wine country visit as you might have in Provence, but this is an area teeming with wonderful towns and villages, beaches...and lots of good wine stores!

IMO, one of the lesser known opportunities for day trips in this part of France are the villages in the Maritime Alps. They are sooo on my wish list, but for now, I'm usually out and about on my own while my husband attends a meeting in Cannes. Here is a link to some fabulous photos of these villages, and you might want to search the rest of this site for some other ideas. The pictures on this site are stunning.

fotopedia.com/magazine/…p1PvdlZZesg

The link here is to the "Perched Villages in Provence," but click "Magazine," and you will get a list of other photo collections. These collections are from all over the world, but scroll through them for regions that might be of interest. You can follow links on this site to a National Geographic "Above France" guide in the Apple App store. I just tried to download it, but my wifi is acting up. It might also give you some ideas.

Happy trip planning! Explore your options and you will get things narrowed down.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

Hi Lauren,

WIll PM you with the contact information regarding the place where we stay.

You should also Google the Tourist Offices for any towns/villages where you think you might want to stay, since virtually all of them have listings of properties for rent. Keep in mind that rentals, during the Tourist Season, are by the week, with the "week," starting on Saturday

6. Re: Villages in Southern France or Spain for a Villa Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:26