We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving thru France to Spain

wirral,merseyside,uk
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving thru France to Spain

Hi I have been on via michelin web site and done rout thru France and come up with

A16-A28-A71-A75-A9

It misses the route thru Paris and saves Lot on tolls it says it only £44.58 on way and take 12 hours driving to get to llorett from calais does this toll price seem right sound bit to cheep to me

And any on gone this way before

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
344 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,257 reviews
from US$105.79*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
535 reviews
from US$43.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Palace of Versailles...
497 reviews
from US$304.00*
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

Price for tolls seems about right but it's around 700 miles and 12 hours seems a bit optimistic unless you've got a strong bladder and aren't stopping for food.

If there's only one driver it should, for safety sake, take a while longer.

wirral,merseyside,uk
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

I plan on stopping around clermount ferrand and there 2 drivers and continue to llorett next day

I have got comfy car tho Chrysler voyager 2.5 crd just expensive on fuel get apx 30-35 mpg

Just need advice on the drive and good cheap hotels ect

Nouic, Haute Vienne
Level Contributor
94 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

My god, you are going to have to stop, that distance is just not on.

Many people have stayed in Nouic which is about half way, type in Nouic in Trip Advisor to look for accommodation, every one has been refreshed when they have left.

4. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 November 2015, 15:20
wirral,merseyside,uk
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

I thinking staying at Hotel Novotel clermount ferrand as it got pool so kids could have bit fun as me n wife relax has any one stayed here

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

Dave, did you not get my reply to your PM which I wrote before you posted your revised question on the France forum?

I told you in my reply that I have stayed at the Novotel Clermont Ferrand. In fact, I have stayed there twice. It is a good Novotel and has a nice pool. But we found it quite hard to find, so print out a google map of the location and look for the small signs saying Novotel by the roadsides after you leave the motorway. The hotel is rather hidden behind some trees.

I also did tell you that you are trying to do a LOT of mileage, with just one stop.

You said in your PM that you wanted to go via Paris.

Now you are planning to go via A16, A28, A71, A75, A9. But you have not mentioned in you post above the N154 and N12 link roads that IME are needed for this route. These can be quite slow in parts, especially the N12 near Nonancourt. Also, the total mileage will be higher than with the Paris route.

I actually think that taking the A16/A28 etc is better than going via Paris, and you'll also save on motorway fees. But I do repeat that it's a lot of mileage to cover. It would be much better - and safer - if you allowed two stops for your journey.

Hope this helps.

wirral,merseyside,uk
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

Just seen the message I must missed it thanks and not 100% sure what way going to be best

One stop is fine I'm good driver and driver longer many times so use to it and quite enjoy it

The route I sayed above is cheaper on tolls but via Paris is shorter in mileage but €30 apx move expensive on tolls so got way up all option

The plan is leave house Friday day stop relax at Dover get a very early ferry 04:00 drive most day till get hotel Saturday rest at hotel complet my drive to Spain on Sunday

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

Hi

Do the drive from several different ferries to my place in Spain every year with one stop.

Usually stop in the St Flour/Garabit area south of Clermont Ferr and use one of the Logis de France hotels.

Last year came up round the Paris Prerpherique and it was gridlocked worse I had ever experienced said "never again "

wirral,merseyside,uk
Level Contributor
177 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

Hi ktw0 what route do you normally take down and what does cost you in fuel

Thanks in advance

London, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving thru France to Spain

My place is between Valencia and Barcelona so I have a couple of hundred miles further to go than you.

I have driven down from Normandy (Caen) and St Malo both these routes are shorter but the trade off is you need an overnight ferry to hit the road early enough to get a days drive in . These routes take you near Limoges, Toulouse and arc round past Carcasonne to meet the A75 coming down from Clermont Ferroud near Narbonne.

I have usually lately been going thru Paris . Its the straightest and I think fastest from Calais , especially since the 'Bridge in the Clouds' has been built at Millau. (A must see). Also the trip thru the mountains after Clermont is great viewingfor your passengers.

The paris prepheriquie is not bad but very busy and traffic slow except last year when Paris was gridlocked. To be fair its the only time in 10 years. You have to get into the right lane for the exit too

From the route point of view if you go to http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ and enter the details you get 3 alternative routes and costs . you wnt the A71/75.after leaving on the A6b A10

As I said I normally stay around St Flour or Garabit in a Logis. www.logis-de-france.com If you have not used a logis they are usually good family run hotels with basic bedrooms but good local food restaurants for travellers.

As you have a shorter distance you wish to stop sooner but I have stayed at the Meridienne, Hotel de Europe and Beau Site and Garabit ( not over impressed with last Great location but food not so good.