We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I need some explanation about trains payments in France

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
I need some explanation about trains payments in France

I need some explanation about payment modalities on scnf-voyages.com website. These are the options: http://cl.ly/Heyg

Since I don't live in France, I can't use option 2. It is not clear the difference between option 1 and option 3.

If I've understood well, I can buy the tickets online, and then get them at the train stations machines using my credit card (Master Card), right before to take the train. Is correct ? What are the differences ?

ps. What happens if my credit card doesn't work in such machines, or even worse I lose it ? My ticket is gone ?

Thanks

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
481 reviews
from US$72.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,157 reviews
from US$108.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
570 reviews
from US$51.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$330.30*
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

it must be the SAME card (even if the card expires, you have to have the original) and if you are from the US, you will not be able to get them from machines but will have to get them from a manned office-- if you lose the card, you lose the ticket.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

Ok thanks. One last question: are the machines and the manned office in the rail station? Or are they somewhere else?

by the way, whcih option are you describing? the first or the third? whats the other one?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

If you do not have a French chip-and-PIN card, the first and third options are the same: you will have to go to a staffed ticket office at a station or an SNCF boutique shop to collect your tickets. There are often long queues at station ticket offices, so an SNCF boutique might be better. To find one, scroll to the bottom of this page and select a region: aide.voyages-sncf.com/points-de-vente-sncf…

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

Ive planned an interrail, so I have several tickets to get. Can I just get all of them at the fist ticket office Im going? So Im done for all rest of the trip ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

Yes, you can get all your tickets at once at one ticket office or shop.

I'm not sure what you mean by having "planned an interrail". If you are thinking of getting an inter-rail pass, don't: it will cost more than tickets.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

Ok thanks. Last question: do I need to show my credit card at the office, or an id document is enough?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

You absolutely must have the *exact* same card as you used for the booking. Even if it has expired or been cancelled. See reply #1 above.

Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

OK. I have an international credit card (master card) with a small chip on one side. It might be that all cards have the chip, but I've been told that it might cause problems. But I think they were talking about the machines, I shouldn't have issues at the office as long as it is the same card. Correct ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,033 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

If your card has a chip (looks like a little gizmo towards the left of the card), it would be worthwhile trying it in a machine; but I found that my Australian chip-and-PIN card would not work in these machines. I had no problem using the card to pick up tickets from the SNCF boutique in Montmartre.

10. Re: I need some explanation about trains payments in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 05:17