We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michelin road maps

New Mexico
Level Contributor
244 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Michelin road maps

We are renting a car for travel in Provence and have maps for our personal GPS, which we are bringing with us. But we wanted to get a few Michelin maps also. Would it be better to purchase those in the states and review them before we leave for France?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,774 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Michelin road maps

If you want the maps as a backup, go ahead and purchase them from the States so you have exactly the ones you want.

I have used my GPS extensively in France and had no general problems navigating.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Michelin road maps

Yes, you would be well advised to review the Mihelin maps prior to your departure in order to familiarize yourself with the region and the features of the Michelin map series, such as the scenic routes being highlighted in green. You may find that you end up using them instead of relying upon your GPS.

Since you will be going to Provence, I urge you to pick up the following maps in the Local series:

# 340 - Bouches-du-Rhone, Var

# 332 - Drome, Vaucluse

Finland
Level Contributor
845 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Michelin road maps

As you have access to viamichelin.com website, you could buy the required paper maps in France, instead. The green roads are well marked and the route planner helps you estimate distances in miles and hours.

I agree paper maps are very useful. The Atlas Routiere 1:250.000 + the required detail maps will be what you need.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Michelin road maps

If you use www.viamichelin.com, you can print off the maps and directions for your initial itinerary (car hire place to your first destination) then just pick up a road atlas while you're there (most filling stations will have them) or go to a bookstore if you want a more detailed hiker's map. No need to buy before you go (IMHO).

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Michelin road maps

for the price of a very few maps you can buy the Michelin atlas in the 1:200,000 scale which would give you the entire country.

6. Re: Michelin road maps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:16