We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France? I mean when my wife will be driving, can I have some beer?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

No. You may not have an opened container of alcohol in the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

Are you sure Sunshine? I know that is the case in North America but I have never heard of such a law in France. While I am not 100% sure I think there is no law against it.

The fact that any consulate and travel forum warns foreigners that it is illegal in the US tells me it must be legal here. Because they all say: "careful, in the US it is forbidden to carry an open container".

Being obviously intoxicated in a public place is forbidden though, and it applies to a stopped vehicle (but strangely enough not to a moving vehicle).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

I know that if you take your unfinished wine home with you from dinner, they'll tell you that it has to go in the trunk.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,719 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

Gibot,

You can't do that in Canada, you can't do that in France. You can have all the beer you want if you stop at a cafe but the driver shouldn't have any at all. The alcohol limit in France is.05. The police will pull your license on the spot in Ontario at .05 but it's not a criminal offense until you're at .08. In France it's .05. Period.

One of the things I enjoy most in France is sitting in a cafe with a beer or glass of wine... I never do that until the car has been parked for the night.

And don't forget to check your rental car... it should have 2 disposable breathalyzers in it.

Rob

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

"but the driver shouldn't have any at all" --- I'm not asking about driver, I'm asking about passenger....

Are you serious about "disposable breathalyzers " is rental car??!!! Many times rented, never noticed!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

"Are you serious about "disposable breathalyzers " is rental car??!!! Many times rented, never noticed!"

No wonder, it is a new law which came into effect on July 1st.

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

"You may not have an opened container of alcohol in the passenger compartment of a vehicle"

There is no such law in France.

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

@Pvoyageuse, thank you for update! Because we rented car last summer in Paris and didn't have any breathalyzers... This year we're renting car in Germany (also will be driving in France). Is law regarding breathalyzers valid for Germany rental companies too?

Toronto
Level Contributor
919 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

I did research and found on gemut.com "It has been reported that the devices will be available for sale at entry points into France". Anyone can please confirm? We are staying in Freiburg (germany) and will be driving to Colmar....

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,668 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Are passengers in a car allowed to drink alcohol in France?

Yes but they were out of stock recently here and therefore hard to find, I don't know if they have replenished them yet or not. But don't worry, people won't get fined until November 1st for not having them in the car. I have 2 but have had them for such a long time (long before they talked about making it mandatory) that they are now expired and not valid any more. Yet I have been driving since July 1st and I was on the highway from Paris to the Champagne region and back today. If you find them buy them, they're only a few euros.

Edited: 22 July 2012, 00:47