We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

Which method of payment would you recommend? I have to pay an apartment bill in euros, from th uk. Which is the safest/cheapest/easiest option?

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

can't you just put it on a credit card? The exchange rate is hard to beat, not counting any foreign exchange fee.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

Unfortunately, as it is a private apartment, the owner will only accept bank transfer or pay-pal! I'm anxious about doing this!

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,755 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

If it's a small amount use your bank (check their exchange rate + commission) or Paypal. Otherwise I've always had the best deal from Hifx http://www.hifx.co.uk/ Compare carefully before making your decision.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

[If it's a small amount use your bank (check their exchange rate + commission) or Paypal]

My bank charges £9 for a transfer (regardless of the amount) that gets the money there in 3-5 days, or £25 if it must get there the next working day.

I have used bank transfers several times to pay for accommodation in France. You need to give your bank the IBAN and BIC code and the account number of the recipient, plus a short description (eg rental 1 August).

I have used Paypal but only for small amounts.

The safety issue only comes in if the recipient is not genuine.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

Paypal is fine - we have never had issues. Get the owner to invoice you, pay on PayPal with your credit card. This means you are covered by UK credit card legislation in case of any dispute.

It also means (as long as the invoice in in euros and you pay in euros) that you get very close to the inter-bank rate of exchange.

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

Thanks everyone! I used a bank transfer in the end! I did it on line, so I paid nothing! I tried PayPal, but as I had not previously varified my account, it would have taken too long. Also would have cost me more, as owner added their charge onto the final cost!

7. Re: Paying for Accommodation in Euros from a uk bank account

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:15