We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial itinerary - would like feedback

DC
Level Contributor
293 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Initial itinerary - would like feedback

2 couples - 50s and 70s and are all active and fit are considering flying into Paris and traveling to Burgandy then south to Provence and then back to Paris in early October. I haven't booked flights yet so there is still flexibility but we will probably have 10-11 days in country plus travel days on each end.

Ideally, we would prefer to not have rental car the whole time. Of course, we won't have a car while in Paris, but would it be better to have a car in Burgandy or Provence?

My thought is that on the portion of the time without a car we would base in a town with good train access to do a day trip or two and also be able to spend a day or two in the base town/village.

Our interests are wine, food, some museums (but not aficionados by any means) and we enjoy just wandering around seeing what we find.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton, Yellowknife
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial itinerary - would like feedback

I suggest renting a car for Provence. I haven't been to Burgundy, so I cannot comment on that. But in Provence, lots of places and little towns to explore. The bus system is good, but if you don't want to be tied to a schedule, car is useful.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial itinerary - would like feedback

A car would be useful for Burgundy as well so you can get to places not served (or not frequently served) by bus or train. In Burgundy that would include places like Fontenay Abbey, the basilica at Vézelay, the Château de Tanlay, and more.

In Provence you would really need a car to see anything other than major cities (Arles, Avignon, Aix-en-Provence).

3. Re: Initial itinerary - would like feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 19:17