We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll roads

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Toll roads

Hey,

Out of interest do the toll roads in France take credit card? If so which lane do I get into? Also do they normally take Amex?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Toll roads

That is what we are finding we are from Australia first we thought it was our cards with the chip in them !

But we used it in some parts and not in others so the difference must be the operators !

So now we are carrying cash but it is hard to work out the payment as they charge by the kilometer !

I think they should think about providing a tag for the hire cars and pay at the end !!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,458 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Toll roads

I never expect that my card will work in a machine, so I always head for the cash payment area. As I recall, some of the toll areas on the A8 around Nice have only baskets into which you throw the correct amount of coins.

You can find out the cost of tolls in advance by using www.viamichelin.com

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Toll roads

sydneynick, it took me awhile to realize this but the ones with baskets for coins do give change so you do not need exact change.

To everyone, have coins or small bills unless after you use a 20 Euro note you end up with a heavy pocket of Euro coins. I guess you can put them in the ashtray for the next tollbooth.

Concord, New South...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Toll roads

The toll roads didn't accept any of our four Australian 'chipped' credit cards including Master Card, Visa Card and American Express.

Avon, CT
Level Contributor
30 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Toll roads

Just returned from France and had quite a problem on toll roads from Normandy to Loire Valley. Picked up ticket at one booth, got to our exit and there was no cash line. Neither VISA or Mastercard worked and both had the "required chip". There was no attendant to help. Went through the barrier immediately after a truck to get through. The alarm went off but no one appeared. At the next toll, we found an aid button and was told neither card would work...but AMEX would even though there was no chip on the card. Go figure.

Mount Vernon, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Toll roads

We had problems last July--no acceptance of our U.S.-issued VISA or MasterCards on autoroutes anywhere from the Spanish border to Nice after nearly 20 years and many, many thousands of km using them without difficulty. Clearly there's been a change of policy, apparently unannounced.

Perhaps it's a new effort to crack down on fraud. I saw recently an article in a French newspaper saying that higher tolls have led to a surge in toll evasion and it's becoming a big concern.

Whatever, it's my understanding that these refusals to accept VISA and MasterCard are a VIOLATION of the agreements that the toll-road operators have, as "merchants," with the credit card companies. As members of the card system, they're supposed to accept ALL valid cards. I am surprised that nobody is doing anything about this.

Does anyone know how to go about making a complaint with the VISA and MasterCard central organizations?

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,594 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Toll roads

I've found it ! The A9 operated by ASF doesn't accept American Express - a first for me. So I left & drove on local roads so they don't get my money.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Toll roads

Do as the French do .......

http://youtu.be/5femryMUOiQ

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,322 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Toll roads

Since we travel quite a bit while in France, e.g., visiting family, friends, explore, we get a ziplock bag with plenty of coins which coins are to be used for toll charges. Some toll points accept MasterCharge and some not, so it is too stressful to rely on credit cards. When we accidentally entered into the lane for pass holders, we were graciously assisted by an attendant and let through, but understand that there may not always be attendant on duty. Really, I think the best practice is to have plenty of coins.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Toll roads

Sorry but I couldn't resist it.

Another way to avoid paying tolls ........

http://youtu.be/X9dQOtWRKN4

I promise no more!