We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Western France

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
114 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Western France

My husband and I are contemplating a visit to France-focusing on the western coast. On our wish list to visit would be Normandy to see the WW II sites, the Loire Valley to see some chateaus, Bordeaux for wine tasting, and ending up in San Sebastian, Spain. We were planning for 7-10 days. Any suggestions/advice would be very much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,527 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Western France

With just 7-10 days I don't see how you can fit all of this in.

With so much moving around you will be spending half of your time packing, unpacking, checking in, checking out and moving around. With 7 days I'd pick 2 spots, with 10 days, 2-3 places max.

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Western France

IMHO, if you actually visit Normandy, the Loire Valley, and Bordeaux in just 7 - 10 days, it will be nothing more than a drive-by visit. Instead, I urge you to get the Michelin Green Guides for these regions and decide whih "ONE," or at most two you really want to visit.

Also, please keep in mind that if you want to spend any time in Paris, doing so will seroiusly diminish the time that you will have to explore any other places

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Western France

Assuming you're not staying in Paris, you could visit the Loire and Bordeaux, as they are more or less on the route from Paris to San Sebastian....but you have to cut Normandy, as it's a long, long way out of your way.

if you're seeing Paris in your 7-10 days, then you might consider taking the train to Spain and just spending a little more time in Paris and San Sebastian.

The distances are working against you here --because it's most of a days' drive between any two of your destinations.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Spain
Spain
Europe
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
114 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Western France

Thanks for your replies. We are not going to Paris (been there several times, and will be there with my daughter in June).

It looks like we should leave out Normandy. But will fly into Paris, take a train or rent a car to drive to Loire Valley? Is there a place to base ourselves to tour the Chateaus? Then drive to Bordeaux to visit wineries and wine taste-best place to base ourselves there? Then make our way to San Sebastian.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
uk manchester
Level Contributor
334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring Western France

Taking the Van over to france our first time driving from the manchester area, which is the best ferry terminal for price and of course we do not want to spends hundreds of miles driving . Would portmouth to caen be the best for us and are there good touring sites along that way we are looking at staying overall for 17 days we are a mature couple and not too keen on a very lively park with lots of kids so any help would be great.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring Western France

I think a good itinerary would be to start in the Loire, down to Dordogne, to St. Emilion, in Bordeaux, then on to San Sebastion, spending two nights in each place. I might suggest Chinon as a good place to stay in the Loire, and Sarlat or Domme, in the Dordogne. While Iwould prefer to stay longer in one spot, these towns are easy to get in and out of and the countryside is so nice, the drive becomes a very enjoyable part of the trip

Mentioned in this post
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Dordogne
Dordogne
Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Saint-Emilion
Saint-Emilion
Gironde, France
Bordeaux
Bordeaux
Gironde, France
Chinon
Chinon
Loire Valley, France
Domme
Domme
Dordogne, France
7. Re: Touring Western France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2014, 07:18