We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

Hi! Me and my family will visit South of France third week of April 2013. We are looking to fly into the nearest,popular Spanish city before going to South of France by car. I was thinking of Barcelona (any other suggestion? we would like to go shopping/outlet stores that's why we though of flying in to Barcelona first. We've been to Barcelona before) for 2 days and then the remaining 12 days will be dedicated to important parts in South of France. We love quaint, countrysides,sceneries, castles but would definitely want to visit Cannes, Monaco and Nice. If we will do a bit of Provence and a bit of the other parts of Southern France, what is the best base for us? Which airport too is good to fly out going to Copenhagen? Many thanks:-)

Edited: 18 November 2012, 15:41
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

do make sure you are aware of all of the costs involved with renting a car in one country and dropping it in another. Expect one-way surcharges in the hundreds of euros.

2. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 April 2016, 16:17
Edited: 04 April 2016, 16:17
philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

Thank you Diz and Sunshine817 for your valuable inputs. If we want to explore South of France by car for 12 days, where should we base ourselves? I made some research and found out that cities/provinces in South of France are not really too far from each other (1 hour-21/2 hours drive). I read in one forum that Marseille is a good base. Any other suggestions? We don't intend to go as far as Bodeaux. Thanks again.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

Have a look at a map -- the term "south of France" takes in an enormous amount of area -- and you simply are not going to find a single base that will allow you to explore everything from Perpignan to Nice.

You might consider a couple of different bases -- Perhaps Nice, St Remy, and Montpellier, just to toss some random names out.

While there's nothing inherently *wrong* with Marseilles, it's a big city and it will take some possibly unpleasant driving (big cities=traffic) to get out into the countryside.

5. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 April 2016, 16:18
philippines
Level Contributor
163 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

Thank you both for all your help. I can now start planning my itinerary with a better perspective. Much appreciated!

7. Re: South of France and nearest Spain county in 14 days

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 15:18