We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Hello

I plan to travel to France 2nd week for 2.5 weeks. I know it's going to be cold, something around 3-7 degree. I am thinking pairs of UGG, and down feather coat? Probably will get gloves as most people suggest, to take good pictures with steady hands instead of shaking cold ones! =) These should be enough?

I havent had a real plan for those 2.5 weeks yet, roughly I am thinking 4 days in Paris, would visit most tourist spots? Then take the TGV to Dijon for 2/3 days, then Lyon for 3 days, Marseille/Nice for 5 days, and TGV back to Paris. Would this plan seem ok? Or a bit too ambitious? Any suggestions on the those cities? I hear people mention about Strasbourg, any advice on that?

I can handle cold, but bit annoyed with wet weather. Does it rain much in Feb? Also accommodation, as I travel alone, would hostels be a good choice since i can meet fellow travelers?

appreciate your replies! =)

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,628 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

I would not count on having 3-7 degrees in February. The high today is expected to be 4 -- and it's usually colder in Feb.

You need a hat and a scarf -- and a water-resistant outer layer, as it could be rainy or snowy. Sometimes we get dry, clear weather, but it's the exception.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Hello!

Thanks! I will pack for scarf and hat and water proof coat! Re snowy, quite excited if snows in Feb! Never snows in sydney, the we don't get this cold in winter!

Also, I have been told that locals don't speak English, especially in southern France? Is it true? I am taking a French for beginner class, hope it will help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,123 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

In the cities you plan to visit, many people will speak reasonable (or very good) English, especially those in contact with the tourist trade. If you visit small villages (anywhere in France), you might find that not many people have English.

The French expect politeness. Always start any conversation by saying "Bonjour, monsieur" (or madame).

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Hi

Such relief to hear this!! I can handle bonjour and merci! :)

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

In Lyon area the winter months are the dryest of the season. It can be cold in February, but normally it's sunny.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

That's good news to hear sunny in Lyon!! Would you say 3/4 days are reasonable for visiting Lyon?

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

I see you giving Lyon roughly the same time as Paris. As much as I like Lyon it's still a smaller city with less attractions. If the weather was nice longer stay could be justified as you could discover Lyon at a slower pace, having a nice stroll by the bank of the Rhone river for example with its numerous cafes and bars and then up to the Parc of the Tete d'Or. But that won't be the case in February as most of them will be still closed. So I'd say 2 full days is already sufficient amount of time to explore the central part of Lyon, for the remaining 2 days you could move to Avignon, which also very much worth a visit.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Well, I thought if the tourist spots are closed when am there, I'd spend some time sitting in the cafes reading books. If the cafes are closed, then I'd better check out avignon. Thanks for the tip! Do you think it's worth a day or two in Toulouse? I assume that TGV should get me to all those areas??

Lyon, France
Destination Expert
for Lyon
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Of course most of the places will be open, no worries there. )) It's still a big city after all and there are plenty of spots for everybody's taste, even a couple of Australian bars as Ayers Rock for instance. And of course you should explore the gastronomical side of Lyon. Plenty of options here as well, just avoid in general restaurants in the touristic streets Merciere, des Marronniers and also St.Jean in the Old City.

Toulouse is a way off your route, but I don't know this destination well enough to give you advice.

Sydney
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to France in Feb - Advice needed

Hi!

Haha, a bar called Ayers Rock!! I have to check it out! I will see how I go with the plan, actually I quite like the idea of spending an arvo in the cafe reading book! :)