We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
454 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

Hello,

I would appreciate feedback on possible itinerary (using rental car) driving from Gordes area (Provence) through Rhone Valley where we wish to spend time in Burgundy before moving on to Loire Valley.

Leaving Gordes area, drive towards Grignan. Maybe visiting Nyons, Grignan, Montelimar, Mirmande.

Move on to Tournon-Sur-Rhone staying overnight or 2 days.

Tournon-Sur-Rhone to Perouges then Beaujolais area (between Lyons and Macon) staying 2 nights to visit the wine region.

We will then enter Burgundy.

I have been using Michelin.com for driving times and thought that the driving times gives us time to stop and enjoy the above areas (am I correct in thinking this?)

Thanking you, Chris

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,057 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

It all comes down to how much time you have -- this is a nice itinerary for 2-3 weeks -- for a week, it's a grind.

Make sure you add 25% to the driving times listed on ViaMichelin, as it makes no allowance for rest stops, traffic, construction, or weather.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

You will really need to keep moving, especially as you should allot time for seeing Vaison-la-Romaine, which is more or less on the way to Nyons (which we love). However, you can skip Montélimar unless you absolutely must visit the nougat factories. It's a pretty town but nothing compared with Vaison.

From Nyons, head north to the charming little town of Dieulefit, known for the yellow pottery produced by regional artisans, then west to the autoroute on a road that passes a number of perched villages.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
454 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

Wow, I really got it wrong!

We really want to travel from South Rhone to North (entering Burgundy) within 5 days, avoiding toll roads.

We want to experience some wine trails, small villages and general history of the Rhone.

I will spend time over the next few days rehashing plans using Michelin driving times (adding 25%!!).

I would appreciate any other feedback re the above.

Thank you both for putting me straight re unrealistic driving/leisure times.

Chris

4. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 December 2015, 18:39
Edited: 19 December 2015, 18:39
Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

It is good to see you are doing some research. This is a lovely area and hard to see in limited time. I see you are staying near Roussilon for a week. We stayed near Mazan for a week in 2008, so were further north. Mazan has an interesting cemetery with old sarcophogii which were discovered in the fields. Did you really need more things to see!?! On day trips, we travelled up to Vaison and down to Gordes and Roussilon. Make sure you do the walk in Roussilon. Quite beautiful. In a pinch, with an early start, you could do Vaison as a day trip. But then, there are so many lovely places in between. What a dilemma.

Nyons is lovely. We stopped there on a Saturday on our changeover day in 2008. Both Nyons and Vaison have wonderful old bridges. We are very partial to old bridges and have been known to detour to see one. In Nyons we really enjoyed our walk up narrow streets. Nyons is also famous for its' olives.

In 2010, we stayed in the Drome region near Clansayes and once again, a wonderful week. Grignan is attractive. We did not tour the chateau, but did enjoy a walk around the grounds. The view driving in is lovely. Also a wonderful lavoir - one of my favourite things to look for along with bridges!! We did not get to Montelimar. But we did have the best nougat ever [ made on site ] from a boulangerie in Montsegur sur Lauzon. We also visited Dieulefit and nearby Le poet Laval. There are so many wonderful small villages.

We love wine but are not experts by any means. We find it a bit different in France, especially as I only have schoolgirl French and DH is limited to Bonjour and merci. However, we did find the area around Macon to be great with local co-ops selling wine - Lugny and Vire spring to mind.

You could have a great day after leaving Roussilon. When we do day trips from our gite, we often head to our end destination and work back. That way, if you run out of time in a day, you just have to go to where you ended. But we also, if possible, like to do a loop and return by a different route. By the end of a week, our map would look like a flower with loopy petals.

Good luck with your planning. I am very envious. Our next trip to France is a long way off.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

If you are looking for a place to stay a couple of days in between Lyon and Beaune (Beaujoulais area) check out Chateau d'Ige. It's fairly close to the highway (A6) at the Tournus exit and is a wonderful place to stay We used it as a base for the southern burgundy/beaujoulais region .It's a restored chateau with great dining and ambiance. (ige@chateauhotels.com) I believe they have a website and I think there are a couple of reviews

jhgrady

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

We too liked the Château d'Igé. In between Montélimar and Dieulefit lies the perched village of Le Poët-Laval, where we have loved the small hotel/restaurant Les Hospitaliers, named for the Knights of Malta whose stronghold the village once was.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

I forgot to mention Perouges. There is a local speciality called Galette de Perouges. It is a large round base - I think I read somewhere it is brioche dough - very thin and sprinkled with sugar. It is sold by the wedge - often through what appeared to be a window into a house. It is a very picturesque place.

We visited Perouges on our last day in France in 2010 - filling in time before dropping our car at Lyon airport and starting the long haul home to Australia.

We came from our week in the Maconnais region and instead of coming down the autoroute, we travelled through the area known as the Dombes - a large plateau dotted with small lakes and villages. It was quite pretty.

If you do stay in the Maconnais region, there is an excellent small restaurant in Chapaize - La Table de Chapaize. Also a marvellous church. Nearby Brancion is attractive and Tournus has a lovely cathedral and cloisters.

Happy travels.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
454 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

Thank you all - have made relevant notes for day trips etc.

Re the Michellin Route planner on line -

If I enter a town, it will often show a list of destinations and I always seem to choose the wrong one (in another region to where I am looking).

How do I identify from the listings which one I need?

Hope this is not a silly question.

Chris

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,244 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Provence through Rhone through to Burgundy?

To be certain, you need the post code of your destination. Many guide books include this information, or you can do a Google search for the town's tourism office.

Or just use trial and error.