We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practical language tips

Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Practical language tips

We will be spending time in Paris at the end of April and I am resigned to the reality that I will be nowhere near fluent or proficient in French by the time we leave, but I do like to be able to communicate at a basic level with the natives of a land I am visiting.

What are the best tips or advice others would be able to give me?

For instance, when memorizing verbs and their correct conjugation, I am unlikely to be asking if a group of Parisian schoolchildren will be going to the movies next Thursday. So I will focus more on the conjugation of "je" and "vous" for basic conversation.

Also, after visiting Germany many times, I have discovered that the Germans will actually understand me if I use the wrong definite article. No disrespect intended towards the gender of French nouns, but if I get the definate or indefinite article wrong, I assume the French will not take offense.

I am also focusing on being able to merely correctly pronounce written French rather that bein able to translate. Again, I just know what I can accomplish in the next 4 months.

Thanks for any help. And Joyeux Nöel!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Practical language tips

You are right to forget about "tu". As a tourist you won't need it.

People won't take offense if you use "le" instead of "la" or "un" instead of "une".

They'll probably correct you, don't take it badly, they mean to help.

Lots of people speak English, learn the basics : bonjour, s'il vous plaît, merci, etc..... and you'll be fine.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,740 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Practical language tips

More than likely, the problems you will encounter will not be just with the article but with the entire "groupe nominal" which encompasses not only the article but the noun which it defines as well as any corresponding adjective. All three; noun, adjective, and article must correlate (in spelling and pronunciation) with the noun's gender and number (singular or plural).

Even very fluent speakers make gender mistakes from time to time so I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Converse as much as you can, speak only in French, even if someone tries to talk with you in English, and you'll make notable progress with each visit to France.

Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Practical language tips

Check out the website: bbclanguages.com/french. It has a great section on French for travelers who know no French and a section, with videos, for French from beginner to advanced. It is a great website.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,053 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Practical language tips

Just as important as the rules of pronunciation and grammar are the rules of etiquette. I studied French and took several courses before I learned that it is important to address people directly as Madame or Monsieur--not just Bonjour, but Bonjour, Monsieur/Madame; not just S'il vous plait, but S'il vous plait, Monsieur/Madame, etc.

You should also greet the shop keeper when you enter a small store or boutique and say thank you when you leave.

MrsJAS

MD
Level Contributor
710 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Practical language tips

If you want to check pronunciation, forvo.com is a good choice. If more than one speaker pronounces a word, listen to all the pronunciations. Some of the speakers may be Belgian or Canadian; I look for speakers who live in France.

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Practical language tips

This is a good resource:

http://french.yabla.com/demo.php

Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Practical language tips

Thank you to all who responded.

8. Re: Practical language tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:15