We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip around Southern Half of France

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip around Southern Half of France

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend and I are currently on a year long journey around Europe and the UK. So far we have visited Italy and we are heading into France later this week. I am thinking of picking up a hire car and driving around the Southern half of France from Mont Blanc - Bordeaux & down towards Perpignan & back across to Nice. I am looking for some suggestions of the best places to stop along the way? Nice towns? B&B's? Campsites? Scenic roads? I have multiple maps and guide books though I just wanted to get the personal opinion of some of you TripAdvisors out there? FYI it will be approximately a 3 week trip and it will be during Easter as well.

Thankyou

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip around Southern Half of France

The area you intend to cover is large, and to go into detail would need a book writing, so I will just give some locations along your potential route to research.

Annecy and its lake.

Lyon if you want a major city.

Beaujolais area is just north starting from Belleville (drive up Mont Brouilly for views over the vineyards) pass Beaujeu and take backroads over the scenic high pasture land towards Roanne.

Vichy with its ornate central spa.

Le Puy is unique with volcano cones in the town with a church on one and on another is a hollow statue you can climb inside.

The D680 road from Dienne (Nr Murat) to the mountain Puy Mary, which you can ascend via a huge staircase, but need clear weather for the view.

Gouffre de Padirac, caves with underground boat ride.

Rocamadour built vertically up a rockface.

Sarlat is much visited.

St Emilion, the wine town, is quaint.

Bordeaux you have mentioned.

Dune du Pyla on the coast is the largest sand dune in Europe.

Lourdes, the religious centre.

Mirepoix with ancient half timbered central square.

The road up and over the Pyrenees in Andorra, cut through Spain exiting via Puigcerda then the N116. Villefranche-de-Conflent, old fortified town, walk the underground stairs from the town up to the fort. Very close is the Grottes des Canalettes caves with an underground sound and light show.

The coast road from Argeles to Cadaques is curvy, hilly, and is very scenic.

Carcassonne, restored but modified castle.

The Millau Bridge is worth seeing and the River Tarn Gorges are not too far away.

Aigues Mortes a large walled town, start point for one of the Crusades.

The Camargue natural park.

You are now at the Provence / Cote d'Azure region with countless options.

Hope this gives you something to work on, though it's only a snapshot of some places I know, other TA posters could undoubtedly add long lists of their own.

Have a good time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip around Southern Half of France

WOW!!

Thankyou so much! This is a great start, and exactly what i was hoping for :)

Any other suggestions welcome TA's

Thanks again.

Jason

3. Re: Road Trip around Southern Half of France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:16