We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

North Vancouver...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

We've rented a place in the small village of Fournes and I'm now getting cold feet. Its very close to Uzes I believe. I know that there will be some great day trips we can do in the surrounding area, but wonder if anyone knows anything about this little village? Is it nice enough to browse around and have a choice of restaurants to have dinner at? We've google earthed the area and it looked at little rough, but perhaps it wasn't a great pic. We've never been to France so could use any suggestions that anyone has, thanks:)

Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
3,636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

While we are not specifically familiar with Fourmes, suffice to say that it is well situated ( ie. less than 30 km ) for exploring many important Provencal sites, including - the Pont-du-Gard, Baucaire, Tarascon, Avignon, Nimes, St. Remy, Les Baux, Arles, and Orange.

It does appear to be a very small village, so you may want to consider enjoying your main meal mid-day, as we do, and then going back to your base and enjoying a light evening repast ( salad, come charcuterie, cheese, fruit, and, of course, some wonderful Provencal vin rose)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,288 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

Like you, I Googled. I can't find a butcher, baker or a supermarket in town and maybe one cafe and an "alimentation" or small shop. It might be a bit grim though to be fair it was obviously before shops opened and a rainy day.

North Vancouver...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

Thanks, good thought to have a bigger midday meal out elsewhere. Hopefully, some one will have traveled through this town

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,461 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

I don't think it is a place that anyone would "travel through", as it is not on a road from anywhere to anywhere.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

There isn't much in Fournès in the way of shops, restaurants etc, but there is a café and it's a pleasant village; I know it through taking walks there amongst the strange formations nearby.

There is a useful Carrefour Market supermarket close by and Remoulins is a short drive away, where there's a range of shops, restaurants etc, as well as all the facilities of nearby Uzès.

You'll be close to the Pont du Gard and Uzès, and near to the main road to Avignon, with many other interesting places an easy drive away, such as those mentioned by AG.

A lot depends on how you like to plan your days. Some like to do as AG, while others prefer to go sightseeing all day with just a picnic lunch and enjoy their main meal in the evening. The problem with that plan when staying in a very small village like Fournès is that the drink-driving laws are very strict in France; if one of you is content with just a single glass of wine at dinner, that wouldn't be a problem.

North Vancouver...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

Gardengirl thanks for your reply. Just having you say it's a pleasant village makes me feel more comfortable:)

7. Re: anyone know the small village of Fournes in Provence?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 07:17