We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Key West, Florida
5 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Four of us are going to Europe for 15 days in early August. We are looking at taking trains for the majority of the trip. Countries we would definitely like to visit are Amsterdam, France, Switzerland and Italy. Other possibilities, if they make more sense, are Belgium, Germany, Austria and Spain. Originally I was looking at flying from Miami to Amsterdam, then taking trains to France, through Switzerland and flying out of Rome. Can anyone give suggestions as to whether this is a good itinerary or other routes that make more sense. We definitely want to see Paris and Normandy (WWII stuff) and Rome. Thanks!

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

This is the peak holiday time and in my opinion your itinerary is ambitious for 3 weeks. So, some pruning is necessary.

"Countries we would definitely like to visit are Amsterdam, France, Switzerland and Italy."

(Amsterdam is of course in The Netherlands).

"We definitely want to see Paris and Normandy (WWII stuff) and Rome."

I think that a good starting point would be for you to decide how much of that time you would like to spend in each country.

You would need at least one of your weeks allocated to Paris and Normandy alone (and then you would still only scratch the surface). Are you planning to hire a car? .

When travelling by train, the advice from the experts is always to book with a country's individual rail network. You will get so much more for your money than booking with, say, RailEurope (which is only an agency).

I know how exciting it can be to plan a trip but you have to be a little realistic about the distances between places and sometimes less is actually more.

My advice is to have a rethink and get back to us when you have trimmed your itinerary to something that would be a little more workable.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,646 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Also keep in mind that your arrival day will be mostly lost due to jet lag, and is not a full sightseeing day. And you lose another half day at least any time you change locations. And if day 15 is your flight home - remember that most flights leave mid to late morning and you need to be at the airport 3 hours prior to your flight.

I'm taking a 15 day trip starting next week to Spain and France. I'm making 4 stops total.

Barcelona 4 days/nights

Cadaques 2 nights

Montpellier 3 nights

Paris 6 nights.

So you could do something like this:

Amsterdam 3 nights train to Paris, connect to Normandy.

Normandy 3 nights

Paris 5 nights - fly to Rome

Rome 4 nights

There's a little room for flexibility there. Some people do Normandy as a day trip from Paris. If you did this you could add another stop in Switzerland on the way to Italy. But if you do too much moving around then you've spent half of your trip in transit and checking into and out of hotels. It can become an exercise in just checking things off your list.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

15 days is very tight for all you plan to see. You might consider overnighting on sleeper trains to save daylight time traveling. See www.seat61.com Back on the Ireland forum where I give a little advice, were I asked, I would suggest that 15 days is probably the least to see the main sights in my country. And Ireland is by no means the largest country in Europe!

Key West, Florida
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Thank you all so much for your advice. My friends and I will be getting together soon to lock down exactly which countries are a must. As of now, I'm looking at flying into Amsterdam and spending 2-3 days, then train to Paris and spend 3-4 days, then maybe just take train through Switzerland to see some of the countryside and spend the rest of the time somewhere in Italy. When I have more definite plans I'll be sure to ask for more advic. Thank you again!!

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Two of us are going to Europe for 15 days in 1st week of April. . Countries we would definitely like to visit are France, Switzerland and Italy.Can anyone suggest what cities to visit and for how many days. We definitely want to see Paris ,Rome, Venice and Zurich. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

14 nights camper van from Paris…..want to see Amsterdam Normandy Germany Italy…..2 adults and an 11 and 15 year old. Thoughts?

Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Rome or Florence will take a minimum of 3 full days to experience the highlights. Venice can be done in 2 days, with a day trip to Murano and Burano by public water transit. All of these would be fully packed days with lots of walking to explore all there is to see. Purchase any tickets for art exhibits, etc., to save time in ticket lines.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Dianne: The original question was posted in April 2013 and there have been several replies to that. Sometimes on Trip Advisor, people will ignore an "old" thread.

It is always best not to tag a new question onto the end of someone else's but to start your own. That way, you may receive some responses that are relevant to you.

Medan, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

Hi There,

Thanks for the good advice about itinerary, I am Yosi from Indonesia

I wish you to advice me about my itinerary to Europe next year, I will traveling with my wife and our first destination is Amsterdam, we only have 16 days include 2 days for return flight from Kualalumpur-Amsterdam-Kualalumpur, so we only have 14 days to around Europe, we are realistic enough that the schedule is too rush and that's why we decide to only visit 5 country, so the itinerary is Amsterdam - France - Rome - Prague - Frankfurt - Amsterdam, please advice me the trip among these country, should I eliminate the ones or is still possibility to add the new destination.

I really need your advice.

Thank you

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Europe - itinerary suggestions

France is a big country. Where in France? Frankfurt is just a business centre & of very little interest so cut it out. There are many far more interesting places in Germany, but you don't have time to see them.