We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in France

1 post
Save Topic
Staying in France

I'm planning a trip to Europe next January and February with three other friends but we wanted to see more than just Paris and were thinking of staying in Bordeaux or Dordogne for two nights. After doing a bit of research I still can't find out which is more suited to us and our trip.

We wanted to see some historical landmarks etc, a bit of nightlife, lots of different food, some pretty countryside and definitely a wine tasting tour. However we are not able to rent a car, will this affect our stay in either place? I've also heard that Dordogne is more varied in activities etc, but not as big on wine tasting as Bordeaux, just wondering how much truth there is to that? Also if there are any other places that you could suggest that would be great!

If anyone has any ideas or experience in these areas could you let me? Thanks

Paris by Mouth Food Tours
Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Rustic Vines
Wine Tours & Tastings , Bike Tours
Nice Food and Wine Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Walking Tours, Food Tours
Wine Tasting In Paris
Wine Tours & Tastings
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,225 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in France

The Perigord region (Dordogne) will be pretty impossible to visit without a car.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in France

In January and February I suggest you stay in a city or town. The deep countryside can be a little bleak and devoid of facilities at that time.

Bordeaux fits the bill very nicely IMO. It's a lively and interesting place. See this excellent website (in English):

But two days would not be enough IMO, especially given all the hassle and time needed to get there from Paris. I suggest you allow at least 4 days, or just stay in Paris for a bit longer and do some day trips from there.

There are not many vineyards in the Eastern Dordogne (eg Sarlat) but there are well known ones in the Western Dordogne (eg Bergerac). At that time of year the vineyards will not be in leaf so be aware that they might look a bit desolate.

You can visit some of the Dordogne by public transport if you have patience and time. But a hire car is definitely best.

Once your plans are a little more definite, I suggest you post specific questions in the Bordeaux and/or Dordogne forum. The general France forum where you have posted is often not even looked at by local experts.

Hope this helps.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in France

Very little will be going on in the Dordogne at that time of year and a lot of things will be closed. It's not a wine region with the exception of three or four very small areas around Bergerac, and most of them won't be hosting visitors then. There will be hardly any or no nightlife. You'll need a car. It's not worth traveling that distance for two days. So I'd take the Dordogne off your list for sure.

Bordeaux is an interesting town that would have everything you're looking for, except really for 2 nights I wouldn't travel that far. And I doubt you'll find a wine-tasting tour at that time of year much of anywhere. The countryside won't be all that pretty then, either.

You don't say how much time you have total for this trip, but unless it's several weeks, I'd just stay in Paris. There's no shortage of historical landmarks, great and varied food, wine, and nightlife. If you want to get out of the city there are dozens of daytrips you can choose from to see some different landscapes.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: Staying in France

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2014, 05:17