We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the differences of types of resturants?

Holland, Michigan
Level Contributor
207 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
What are the differences of types of resturants?

This is really bugging me, but in all the threads on resturants, I have seen cafe, brassieries, resturants ect. What are the differences between all of the different types of eating establishments. I'm sure I left more out of my list.

Merci

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

basically they are restaurants. One place might call itself a bistro and another a relais, or cafe - or even a brasserie, but they will probably all do the same sort of food.

Technically, they are different. Brasseries shold brew their own beer (that's what the name means in old French), Bistrots should be quick service, and Cafés should do good coffee. As a rule though, they are just restaurants.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,583 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

Some bars/cafes have a tiered pricing system. If you drink standing up at the bar counter (or sit on a bar stool) you will pay one price, another for sitting inside and yet another for sitting outside.

You may also see a "tabac". This is in literal terms a tobacconist but it may also sell newspapers, coffee or alcohol.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,012 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

it is kind of like asking what is the difference between a college and a university in the US -- there is really none although once there was. e.g. I know a two year institution that not long ago became a college by expanding to 4 years and then added a nickel dime masters degree program and is now a 'university'.

Restaurants usually serve lunch and dinner and close in between -- and tend towards the more formal service

Brasseries and cafes tend to be more likely to offer continuous service and are informal. Bistrots? no idea -- I know several that offer continuous service and seem pretty much like typical brasseries and some that function more like small restaurants with lunch periods and then dinner periods.

Lots of overlap

Edited: 03 May 2013, 19:50
4. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2015, 17:08
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

Un croque-monsieur, des croque-monsieur - you only croque one monsieur at a time- :-)

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,061 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

Traditionally bistros served simple, hearty and seasonal food - the owner at the bar, his wife in the kitchen (or the reverse) - such as daube, blanquette, boeuf carottes, pot-au-feu etc... , dishes that cooked slowly on a corner of the stove and could be reheated the next day.. Nowadays everybody and his brother call themselves bistros which have become the new fashion-victims.....

7. Re: What are the differences of types of resturants?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:17