We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21days in Europe! How to plan

1 post
Save Topic
21days in Europe! How to plan

So im heading to Europe (ie. Amsterdam, Munich, Rome & Paris) (in order)in late September early October this yr. Im from brisbane, Australia & travelling for 21days. Im looking to travel via trains & stay in low cost hotels, I have pd my plane tickets & saved at least half my spending $. Is there any advice you can provide me with as this is my first time going overseas. Any sort of advice re: this trip will be much appreciated. I love adventure, food & experiencing different cultures. So any tips on some great places not to miss - would be lovely. Thankyou.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21days in Europe! How to plan

The first piece of advice regarding train travel: book with each country's individual rail network. You will often see RailEurope crop up when doing a search. I am not knocking the company but this is an agency and you will pay over the odds for tickets.

For France, www.sncf.com/en (the "en" will take you to the English speaking site)

There used to be a separate site for TGV (high speed trains) but the sncf site now covers everything

For expert train travel help, I suggest that you post your query on the separate Train Travel Forum. The people there are much more experienced and will point you in the right direction as regards travel in the other countries you mention.

Bellflower...
Level Contributor
5,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21days in Europe! How to plan

Taryn,

Welcome to TA.

By looking on the railroad site, as Pamjo... recommends, you'll get an idea of the travel time between places and that will help you plan your itinerary. Do the 21 days include your arrival and departure days and also the days to travel between cities? All this determines how long to stay in each place.

MrsJAS

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21days in Europe! How to plan

Time to start reading guidebooks and looking at maps. When you have a rough itinerary lined up, come back and ask specific questions. Enjoy the planning!

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21days in Europe! How to plan

A great website for train information throughout Europe is:

http://www.seat61.com/

This should help a lot with info on travelling by train both in France and the other countries you plan to visit.

Also look at some detailed maps, especially of the railways, so that you know what and where connections are available. This site gives you national and regional maps of the French railways to download (it's in French only but should be reasonably understandable):

http://www.rff.fr/fr/le-reseau/les-cartes/

These maps will give you some idea of where you can go by train (bear in mind that some of the minor routes do not have frequent services), but use the links in previous posts to make any advance bookings.

5. Re: 21days in Europe! How to plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2014, 06:17