We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

Mill Valley...
5 posts
Save Topic
Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

We are going to be traveling in France this summer. Part of our trip is a request from our boys to visit european car museums.

Can I have some assistance with recommended cities to stay in, as well as routes to take? I'm not sure the best time frame, but I imagine a good 5-day trip is in order.

Our goal is to arrive in Paris on the 17th, so I figure we'd leave the Carcassonne area on the 11th or 12th.

Below are the places we'd like to visit in rough order of our trip:

Eze Village (unless it is too far out of the way)

Zurich

Musee de l'Aventure Peugeot in Sochaux

Cite de l'Automobile in Mulhouse

Mercedes-Benz Museum + Porche Museum in Stuttgart, Germany

A stop in Strasbourg

Musee Automobile Reims-Champagne in Reims

I appreciate any advice and travel recommendations!

Thanks!

Destination Expert
for Provence
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

While it is clear that you will be spending a considerable amount of time exploring Europe this Summer, you have not stated the exact duration of your stay, or your departure point.

With regard to the car museum tour that you are proposing, in all honesty, while I haven't really checked out my maps, the places that you have listed sound more like they deserve a two to three week trip, at the very least. While, yes, you can probably visit almost all of the listed places in a very short period, you, and your sons will really only be able to say that you have been there.

Hope to hear from you with more details regarding your trip, in order to be able to provide you with more/better advice.

Mill Valley...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

We realize that there is a big chunk of Europe between these destinations. However, we have a limited time.

As the title of my post states, we are traveling from near Carcassonne to Paris. I apologize for not including the month: July. Though we are in the Carcassonne area from the 5th to the 11th or 12th, we have reservations in Paris for the night of the 17th.

Are we being too aggressive in attempting to see these places?

As I mentioned, we'd love some assistance both with routes + recommendations for accommodations along the way. Must-see spots will be good to know, too.

Another factor that I didn't spell-out: this is my family going (me, my wife, my daughter (3.5) + two sons (6.5 + 9)), not just me and my sons. We're all looking forward to some adventure.

Thank you!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

Forget about Eze, it is out of the way. Getting from Carcassonne to Sochaux will take you most of the day. From Sochaux, you can drive to Mulhouse , from Mulhouse to Strasbourg and stop in Rheims on your way to Paris. To give you an idea of distances and itineraries, see www.viamichelin.fr

Mill Valley...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

Thank you for your feedback.

From the tone of your reply, this seems feasible and we're really not nuts, correct?

What are your recommended locations to stay? Any routes that we shouldn't miss for sake of great views or old castles or just because of the great feel of a certain town?

Cheers-

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

It is feasible if you drop Eze, Zurich and Stuttgart. This does not mean I would do it especially with 3 young children :-)) Carcassonne to Sochaux will be a very long drive and you won't have time to stop and go sightseeing.

How many car museums can you see and enjoy in a day?

Have you clicked on the Michelin page? You have a choice of itineraries including scenic ones.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 08:27
Mill Valley...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

I did visit the Michelin page, though I haven't explored its offerings yet. Sounds like a great tool. Thanks!

I'm thinking that one car museum a day would be enough, leaving the other half of the day to do something nearby.

I can see dropping Eze, but my wife is really hoping to see either Zurich or Stuttgart. I can also see us breaking-up that first haul so the kids don't go bonkers. I'll explore the Michelin site and chat with my wife more to see where our priorities lie.

In the mean time, if you have any recommended hotel chains or rather recommend searching for local stays, those are very welcome pieces of advice.

Thank you for your helpful queries and points of advice!

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

Finding a room for 2 adults + 3 children will be difficult and will limit your choice. See

www.accorhotels.com/fr/france/index.shtml They have a wide range of hotels from very cheap (F1) to very expensive (Sofitel)

or Campanile hotels - they have family rooms - www.campanile.com/fr…

Edited: 11 June 2013, 09:51
Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

You will pass close by many MANY car museums on your way to Paris withought having to go north of the capitol itself

Just in the Loire Valley and immediate surrounds you have:

Chatellerault

Valencay

Ramorantin

Le Mans

Museum Maurice Dufresne

www.euro-t-guide.com/See_Type/Auto_1.htm may help

9. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 December 2015, 22:16
Edited: 06 December 2015, 22:16
Mill Valley...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Carcassonne to Paris- An Automobile Museum Tour

Thanks for the links. These have been very helpful. As my children are still young, and don't mind sleeping together, I'm hoping our chances of finding rooms won't be difficult.

Thank you everyone for your continued assistance.

If there are any new ideas, please let me know!