We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

Hi, my girlfriend and I are driving around France for a couple of weeks at the beginning of August, starting in Calais and following the coast all the way round to the South.. Nice etc. We're going for two weeks, and are planning on camping. Will we be able to turn up at campsites and pitch for a couple of nights without booking? And if not then any tips on wild camping? Also any recommendations for places to visits and general tips would be very welcome!!

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

We want to try out surfing too! But don't have boards so will have to rent...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'following the coast all the way to the South .. Nice, etc'

Do you mean you are literally going to follow the coastal roads from Calais west towards Brest, then south towards the Spanish border and finally east to Nice?

Because that would involve travelling around 1500 miles and presumably you still have to get back to Calais within the two week holiday – and that's another 800 miles from Nice.

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

As for camping in France in August - the entire population goes on holiday during that month and heads off to every corner of the country.

Everywhere will almost certainly be booked up well in advance and unless you are very lucky you will find all campsites fully booked.

Wild camping is an option and you'll find information and advice here - www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/france

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,297 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

Haha, my husband gave out to me the other day for talking about the "East Coast" of France :o)) He gently reminded me that there is no sea between Calais and Nice....

George, take a look at www.viamichelin.com 2 weeks isn't a lot of time to cover what you want to see, unless you are planning to spend most of your time in the car.

For surfing, Biarritz and the coastline near it is best. You've got all of that Atlantic rolling in.

Would you consider just driving the North and West coasts? Calais-Cherbourg-Brest-Nantes-Biarritz. This journey alone is approximately 1,100 miles (1,730 km or so). And then driving back from Biarritz to Calais.

The roads are going to be VERY busy in August so your times are going to be longer than stated on Via Michelin.

There are lots of interesting places to visit on this route as well.

4. Re: French Coastal Road Trip from Calais to Nice August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2014, 06:17