We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A tour company that assists wih independent travel

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
A tour company that assists wih independent travel

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Europe (several countries) in 2014. He has been there about 40 years ago and I have never had the opportunity. We do NOT want to book with a tour company, I was wondering if there was a company that would assist with arranging transportation, lodging, and some of the logistics? I had seen such a company for Ireland, but forgot to save the link.

Not being familiar with the various companies, if such a company existed, it would help with some of these issues. If such a company does not exist, any suggest where and how to start?

Thank you for your input

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,961 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

This forum and a good guidebook are the best place to start.

Tour company=their schedule and their transport and their accommodations.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,204 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

joyvpd,

TA is a great resource for this type of travel. Once you have a rough idea of where you want to visit we can help you fine tune your plans.

And, I'm in St. Louis too. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

Rick Steves has a MyWay tour for certain itineraries where they arrange the transportation and lodging. You are on your own once you get to each city as far meals and sightseeing.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

That's a Travel Agent, a diminishing breed with the resurgence of the internet and the travel forums like this.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

Here we are!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,204 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

That Rick Steve's tour has a hefty price IMO. I spent far less than $3,000, including airfare on my solo 15 day trip to Spain and France in April/May. I can't imagine paying $3,700 (which includes the $725 single supplement) for lodging and transportation for a 2-week trip - that's $264/day.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

I saw that one, but it was terribly expensive and it seemed that every other day was hours and hours on a bus. I thought travel by auto would be more fun. We can stop whenever, take a different road.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,995 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

The trouble with this is that there is no percentage in it for the person doing the organisation. A traditional travel agent will book the hotels and your train tickets for a percentage (usually between 12% and 20%), but someone to do all the legwork for you to make your own bookings isn't going to make a living.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
28 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

Thanks, F1racegirl. Appreciate the offer.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I was just overthinking this. My concern was properly arranging for a vehicle and making sure where we chose to stay was safe. But, I guess this forum is the place to come after I do some research.

Thank you!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,204 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A tour company that assists wih independent travel

It's important to be aware that renting and driving a car in Europe is expensive. Gas runs around $8/gallon. many roads are toll roads - and the tolls aren't cheap. Also there are hefty drop off fees if you rent a car in one country and drop in another.

For long distances the train is often the better option. Tickets can be cheap when purchased in advance. Then you can rent a car at your destination to explore.

For estimates of driving times, tolls and fuel costs you can use www.viamichelin.com

You may also want to consider flying open-jaws into one city and home from another - that way you avoid backtracking to your arrival city. You can search for open-haws flights by choosing the multi-city option when searching for flights.