We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

Hi,

I'm an Australian living in Paris, and I'm planning on taking a canal cruise with my parents who are visiting this summer (3 to 4 nights, leaving around August 16)

We've rounded it down to a few regions (according to availability on LeBoat)

- Charente: Jarnac, via Cognac & Saintes

- Nivernais: Châtel-Censoir, via Clamency

- Alsace-Lorraine: Hesse, via Lagarde

- Burgundy: Saint Jean-de-Losne, via Gray

- Lot River: Douelle, via Vers

- Loire-Valley: Decize, via Nevers

- Loire-Valley: Châtillon-sur-Loire, via Sancerre

- Canal du midi: Trébes, via Carcassonne

I hear Canal du Midi is far too busy in August? Burgundy/Charente & Loire Valley sounds the nicest to me, but then again I'm very unfamiliar with french countryside regions!

We're looking for a super chilled, scenic route with decent restaurant options along the way..

We'd be open to trying other companies (LeBoat's seems to be one of the few companies offering short trips, and their website was just the most user friendly for Canal novices like us..)

ANY advice on this kind of trip would be greatly appreciated!!

We want to book ASAP so as not to miss out!! :)

Thanks in advance!!

St Paulet
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

Hello

If you have not done the Canal du Midi ... it is a must ! Very scenic route, lots of restaurants and... wine growers cooperatives. It is true that Leboat has a lot of choice and their boats are very good.

For only 3 or 4 nights, you will not be able to do a one way cruise (start at one base and finish at another base) and cover most part of the canal. Trèbes or Homps are good starting points but Leboat has several others on the canal du midi so the easiest is to ask them.

Charente is also a good choice ....very nice river. You need to visit the Cognac caves ! really fantastic. Lots of good restaurants as well ! You can also swim in the river.

I hope this helps

Line

Livermore...
Level Contributor
24 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

My husband and I have cruised both the Canal du Midi and the Canal du Nivernais. Both are beautiful. As stated by Line L, your problem will be finding a company that will rent to you for 3-4 days. Locaboat and Les Canalous (in Colombiers on the Canal du Midi) offer weekend and mini-week rentals (I'm sure there are other companies that also have short term rentals). The advantage of cruising the Canal du Midi is that there's a stretch of canal between Argen-Minervois and Beziers that has no locks to manuever through (a real time-saver on a short trip).

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

I would not recommend La Charente. We have cruised Nivernais, Le Lot, La Baise, Loire from Rogny, Saone, and last year La Charente. The problem with the Charente is that the locks are manual (not a problem in itself), but because of the lock gate design, every lock will be closed when you arrive and must be closed again when you leave. The flywheels to turn are very heavy and you will make slow progress with 3 people. We really enjoyed La Baise from Buzet-sur-Baise down to Condom renting an N900 from Nicols. However, they do not do short weeks in the peak season.

4. Re: Urgent: Short canal barge for 3ppl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 07:19