I'm an Australian living in Paris, and I'm planning on taking a canal cruise with my parents who are visiting this summer (3 to 4 nights, leaving around August 16)
We've rounded it down to a few regions (according to availability on LeBoat)
- Charente: Jarnac, via Cognac & Saintes
- Nivernais: Châtel-Censoir, via Clamency
- Alsace-Lorraine: Hesse, via Lagarde
- Burgundy: Saint Jean-de-Losne, via Gray
- Lot River: Douelle, via Vers
- Loire-Valley: Decize, via Nevers
- Loire-Valley: Châtillon-sur-Loire, via Sancerre
- Canal du midi: Trébes, via Carcassonne
I hear Canal du Midi is far too busy in August? Burgundy/Charente & Loire Valley sounds the nicest to me, but then again I'm very unfamiliar with french countryside regions!
We're looking for a super chilled, scenic route with decent restaurant options along the way..
We'd be open to trying other companies (LeBoat's seems to be one of the few companies offering short trips, and their website was just the most user friendly for Canal novices like us..)
ANY advice on this kind of trip would be greatly appreciated!!
We want to book ASAP so as not to miss out!! :)
Thanks in advance!!