We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south of france in august

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
south of france in august

Hello - anyone have any experience with the south of france in August? would it be completely over run with tourists?

We have a good offer on a flight to Nice and are thinking of renting a car to Marseille and seeing Aix etc.

Not sure about rental car prices (haven't looked into it yet) but more importantly, how over run it would be with tourists - or not

Thanks!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: south of france in august

Yes, it will be packed, things will be expensive, roads will be clogged.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
119 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south of france in august

thanks for your quick reply. That's what I feared. I think most places in Europe will be the same, as its peak holiday season, but I suppose some places could be worse than others!

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south of france in august

I was in the South of France in June last year and although there were a lot of tourists at the markets, the country side was quiet and serene. I will also be returning for a brief visit around the first of August just to see the lavender in bloom. I have rented a car and plan to devote my brief stay to the Luberon Region. Can anyone give me any suggestions on avoiding the tourists?

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,753 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south of france in august

Avoiding tourists during the month of August in the south of France is not going to happen. All schools were finished as of last Friday and the huge vacation migration has begun. The very worst locations will be along the coasts, waterways, and lakes so staying away from anything that has a shoreline would be my best advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
458 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: south of france in august

I've been there twice in August. It is wonderful. Parts are more touristy like suggested below near the coast.

There are towns with few tourists in August. Look at Lacoste and Bonnieux deeper into Provence for example.

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: south of france in august

I just got back from Nice two days ago. We spent a couple days in NIce and a half day in Monaco and a half day in Villefranche sur Mer. Nice and Monaco were definitely very crowded, but still very enjoyable. The weather was beautiful -- 80 degrees and sunny. Just know to expect packed beaches, trains, restaurants, stores,etc. and be patient!

7. Re: south of france in august

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 06:18