We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In general.....?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
In general.....?

Have just spent a few hours with my brother-in-law and his wife who have just returned from a four week holiday in France (in a Motorhome). They had a great time, loved everything about France.

My wife and I intend doing something similar in mid-August/early September next year (this is the only time we can go) but are now having second thoughts because of the fact that wherever brother-in-law went he was always told the same thing i.e. you have come at the right time because almost everything in France closes down from August on! Would this be so or are they perhaps over stating things a little

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In general.....?

Of course he's overstating it, and harking back to 25+ years ago when that was one of the grand mythis about France, along with ll the waiters are surly . The vacation spots and roads are PACKED with tourists all over France in August - that's when Europeans go on vacation, so why would vendors close down during the most lucrative season of the year? Maybe if you were planning on parking your motorhome outside a few swank Parisian restaurants whose owners go away for the holidays you'd get a sense of closures here and there, but nobody in their right mind would do that anyway. Your bigger problem is going to be maneuvering on incredibly crowded roads and finding accommodations at this very late date.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
23,800 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In general.....?

well it isn't late to plan for next year.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In general.....?

We travelled in France from mid Sept to mid Nov in 2010. Everything is not shut. Some restaurants and attractions in very tourist oriented places may close. But people still live in France and want to shop and eat and go out. We also visit in April - May, also out of season and have no issues. We self cater, so are not dependent on hotels and restaurants being open.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In general.....?

<<Some restaurants and attractions in very tourist oriented places may close.>>

Actually, that's the opposite of the norm. The touristy places stay open because....it's tourist season, and that's when they make money! Where are really touristy places closed in August? Never seen it in decades of traveling all over France.

But yes to the OP, if it's next year (missed that), you've got time to plan.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In general.....?

Thanks everyone - thought that might be the case - I really could not see the (almost) entire country shutting down. Just goes to show you should not believe everything you hear.

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In general.....?

I actually meant that some places close later after the peak season [ from August on as stated by the OP ]

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In general.....?

It might have been stated about camp sites that only open for the summer holidays, July and August, perhaps. Where I am at the moment, a ski resort in the Alps, everything will shut at the end of August and not re-open until December.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In general.....?

If yIou were travelling arond and trying to make business appointments, August would be a bad choice. However, for tourists most of the places you may wish to visit and use will be available and the largest problem in some areas will be crowds. Individually owned shops and restaurants that mainly caer for a local clientl may close for part of July/August particlarly in cities, but alternatives are aailable.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In general.....?

and whatever you do - don't lapse into renting a motorhome thingy...........

highways/tollways and freeways would be ok - but villages and small towns - a large thing would be a nightmare - and cities? - any form of motor vehicle is just an expensive nuisance

check out www.seat61.com for train travel - great way to see Europe and/or for Aussies lease a brand new car see www.globalcars.com.au, www.driveaway.com.au and www.renaulteurodrive.com.au for visits of 21 days + very economical or conversely car rental www.autoeurope.com.au www.vroomvroom.com.au www.rentalcars.com

we always (09, 11, 12) travel Europe September/October/November - trying to avoid tourist crush - would advise you to try to avoid August if at all possible - and - have a great trip !

10. Re: In general.....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17