We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Card?

Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Discover Card?

Hello everyone,

I am leaving for Paris at the end of the week. My Discover card is offering no international fees, while my Bank of America Visa isn't. Does anyone happen to know how readily accepted the Discover card is in France? Thanks.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover Card?

It isn't accepted at all. Leave it at home. It's worthless in Europe.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,766 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover Card?

Just take both cards. It's a good idea to have a backup anyway. But, you'll find few, if any, places that will accept your Discover Card. Also keep in mind that you will find some restaurants and shops with minimum purchase requirements for credit cards, and some that don't take credit cards at all,

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,538 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover Card?

Discover is accepted nowhere in Europe so it's not clear what possible value it would have as a backup.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover Card?

Are you talking about BOA credit or debit card? You can use BOA debit card at the ATM of their partner bank, BNP Paribas. There are numerous locations throughout Paris. There are no surcharges per transaction, which makes this the best option for getting euros.

I would still recommend bringing a credit card, ideally Visa or MasterCard.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 06:26
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discover Card?

Don't forget to notify the bank and credit card companies that you'll be using the cards in France. You must call in advance and specify dates of travel. Otherwise, they will place a hold on your cards making them inactive for obvious security reasons to prevent fraud.

Edited: 29 July 2013, 06:30
Parrish, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discover Card?

Thanks for the information. Discover is saying that it's connected through Diner's Club international, but I know nothing about that. I will just bring my Visa card. Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discover Card?

Not many places in France accept Diners Club cards.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discover Card?

Make large purchases such as hotel with credit card. Use cash for incidentals, food, and other smaller purchases.

9. Re: Discover Card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:16