We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks for South of France and Spain?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Three weeks for South of France and Spain?

Hello everyone,

I am starting to plan an itinerary for a trip to Europe next year. This will be my first Europe trip ever, and I'm really looking forward to it!

I wanted to ask if three weeks is "too much" time to tour the south of France (specifically the Mediterranean coast, all the way from Perpignan to Monaco) in addition to visiting Paris. Also, I will be visiting the two major cities in Spain (Barcelona and Madrid).

Will be spending about 3 days or so in each of the three major cities and the rest of the time touring the Mediterranean coast. Is this too much for a first-time visitor? Please note that I am note inclined to visit as many countries as possible even though it is my first trip to Europe. I believe in immersing myself in a country and not just being all "go-go-go" so I can snap a few pics and then move on. Besides, I plan to come back to Europe in the future to visit more countries, and even visit more of France and Spain if life/luck/money allows it. :)

Thoughts? Thank you all!

Retro Tour Paris
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Corse Adrenaline
Other Outdoor Activities, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,904 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks for South of France and Spain?

You need to take into account your travel days between destinations, as your proposed itinerary covers a wide area.

Car rental www.auto-europe.com Route planner www.viamichelin.com An IDP is required for Spain

Trains, France www.voyages-sncf.com Spain www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Flights www.easyjet.com www.vueling.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks for South of France and Spain?

You plan sounds reasonable enough to me. Be sure to fly open-jaws, into one city and home from another. The last 2 years I've started my trips in Spain and ended in Paris and the airfare was cheaper than a RT to Paris.

You could start in Madrid, then go to Barcelona by train. From Barcelona I'd suggest a stop in/near Cadaques and a visit to the Salvador Dali House. You can continue by train into France, and eventually end up in Paris.

Also be sure to book any long distance trains early. For best prices book 90 days in advance.

3. Re: Three weeks for South of France and Spain?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2014, 05:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor