We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French language schools

Omaha, Nebraska
2 posts
Save Topic
French language schools

Does anyone have any good recommendations for language schools in France? I'm a 22-year-old female looking to spend three months learning French, but I have no idea where to go. Has anyone been to a language school in a smaller city in France? If so, would you recommend this as opposed to a larger city like Paris? Also, I'm sure attendance is high during summer months when a lot of young adults are out of school, but I'm looking to go from September to November. Are there still a lot of young people that participate during this time frame? Any help would be wonderful!! Thanks!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,165 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French language schools

I can recommend either of these schools which have excellent 3 month programs:

in Tours -

http://www.institutdetouraine.com/en

_____

in Aix en Provence

http://www.iefee.com/

San Sebastian...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: French language schools

I would also recommend this other excellent French language school: SOFI 64 (Biarritz)

http://www.sofi64.com/

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
550 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: French language schools

ILP in Montpellier has great teachers and modern methods. Montpellier is a lovely city with many students.

http://www.ilp-france.com/

Level Contributor
22 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French language schools

I'm looking for a good school with small classes for an advanced student who is an older adult and where there is an option to live a hotel or small apartment. Would appreciate suggestions.

nz
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French language schools

My hubby is in Montpellier at the language school. He is there for 3 mths, left 13 th sept till 11 th dec

Loving Montpellier, the school work is hard!! And students change every week.

Some there for just 3 days etc

He is 46. And B2

Staying with madam Danielle who rents out rooms and cooks. He is in a self contained apartment 50 mets from her place as he ' is mature'! Has his own lounge, kitchenette bathroom etc but she cooks for him in the main house

Public trams / transport are excellent there and he is 5 mins walk from the school.

If you want him to email you, pm me

Edited: 26 September 2013, 23:46
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: French language schools

Hi KioRakiwinz,

Many thanks for your posting in September about your hubby's study in Montepellier.

I'm interested to find out which school is your hubby enrolled in? Would he/you have any recommendations for an absolute beginner?

Also the housing arrangement that your husband has sounds quite appealing. Is it under the "host family" option, which is offered by several schools?

Greatful for your advice!

A fresh start hopeful

nz
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French language schools

Yes of course!

Here is part of a letter he wrote to one of the other people asking on here, I'm sure they won't mind me sharing.

He has now been there 2 mths and loves it, has been to see the kiwis play league in Avignon and all blacks next week in Paris.

His French after 5 weeks improved dramatically. The host mother who can't speak English commented as have others. This was written 4 weeks in and it was starting ' to change'

Anyway, here is the letter .pm me if you want her name etc

Montpellier is a lovely town, I adore the trams and buses, there is much to see and do in and around the town and if you wish to go further afield, the trams and buses cover this. For example, I love the journey to the beach and having a paddle in the Med was cool and a first in 26 years! I am staying 2 mins from Comedie and it is a happening place. Having your own place is ok but I suggest using the half-board option, it will save you time, money and the hassle of cooking when you could be studying, or, in my case, homework (I have about an hour per night plus my own personal study).

A month will aid you but also frustrate you as you will hit ‘the wall’ several times linguistically and then after 4 weeks something clicks and you find levels of fluency hitherto unknown. This is my 4th week and I was amazed how much I was using in class this morning (I had a similar experience 4 years ago when I was in Midi-Pyrenees for 4 weeks and then left), I would hate to leave now as I am really keen to hit DELF C1, it is possible, I am sure, the improvement over the month has been considerable.

I am at Accent Français, their standard courses are good and give you scenarios that test you. I got DELF B1 (intermediate) last year and based on that, a written online test and a brief oral exam on arrival, I was put into the higher end of B2 classes. Classes usually alternate between starting at 9am and 4pm. (All classes here are based on the DELF system, if you’re not familiar with that, best to become so pretty quick) Many of the teachers are engaging, focussed and love what they do, that’s obvious, some go through the motions (it’s the same everywhere, I know that), so you will experience the highs and lows associated with this, but it is worth sticking with. They are centrally located, have a pretty good set-up and offer good basic grammar-based courses and, at an extra expense, can give you intensive classes to aid your language development. I have a fellow teacher from NZ here who is doing this and she enjoys it greatly and is gaining a lot from it. They have heaps of excursions, I have been on one to Avignon and le Pont du Gard, well worth it and interested me. The guide speaks mainly in French and I enjoy him as he makes history fun, he’s a bit anti-Catholic, so be warned if you have this disposition! They also have cooking classes (in French) which I am told are amazing. Also, Roquefort is just up the road, so the cheese is soooooo cheap (it’s also my favourite which helps, goodness only knows what I’ll smell like when my family arrives!).

I have a host lady who is lovely and looks after me really well (irons my shirts, socks and shorts!!) and prepares lovely 3 course meals each evening. Breakfast is very French with croissants, yoghurt, home made jams (Fig, apricot etc,) brioche, home made breads, juice, hot chocolate, tea or coffee. You can eat as much as you want and she is happy to have you eat from 6:30am if you wish. She has room for 6 younger students in her apartment and has another apartment on the ground floor just around the corner which opens onto a communal garden. I love the chance I get to be alone, have my own shower and toilet, my own TV (very useful language learning tool), wifi and mini-kitchen with fridge and microwave. The flat can accommodate 2 easily. Dinner is at 8:30pm and is accompanied with wine should you wish. She even makes a fuss of you on your birthday! I share this as I have landed on my feet! This is the best arrangement I have encountered and I have heard some horror stories from some fellow students. I was recommended to stay at this lady’s place by a fellow teacher who was here last year, I am really grateful he did as this place rocks! My host is also very keen to engage in conversation and she makes no apologies in correcting you as that is why you are here, she’s like a Mum to me as I’m 45 and she’s 70!

Montpellier has a lot of tagging in the centre city, sad as they tag on 600 year old buildings, but you sort of learn to not see it after a while. It is safe at night, I know some of the students (female) walk home at 2am alone and are not troubled (if it was my daughter I would be!!) and the nightlife is literally at my door but I seldom hear it as I am the rear flat, so apart from the usual comings and goings (it's quite a young population here), I am undisturbed. Beggars are everywhere, if this troubles you, find somewhere else, it really is a career for some and I have no issue walking

nz
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: French language schools

. Beggars are everywhere, if this troubles you, find somewhere else, it really is a career for some and I have no issue walking past the same woman with her son everyday on my way to school because I know its her job, not a desperate need because you would have done something in 4 weeks if it was a desperate need! The weather is generally warm and predictable. If it rains, its fairly intense then swiftly passes. At this time of year I can wear shorts and t-shirts all day, in summer, it can be quite oppressive with temps in the high 30s and low 40s Celsius recorded. Hence the beach becomes a great option.

I have met many Americans while Ive been here and many other nations too, its a mini UN! The lingua franca at school is English and when things are tough, thats the default. There is a TV channel that shows Friends in English every night for 6 hours, I have sought refuge there a few times to refresh my brain!

Well, thats all I can think of, if you have any further questions feel free to ask, Im off to do my homework like a good boy!

Edited: 04 November 2013, 18:07
London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: French language schools

Hi kiorakiwi,

Many thanks to your reply-much appreciated!

I'm really pleased to see that your husband is making such great progress with his French study.

I've now decided to take a Beginner's course with Accent Francais and yes, I would love to have the name of your hubby's host mother so that I can ask for an apartment in her house.

Cheers!

A fresh start hopeful

nz
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French language schools

Pm sent!!