We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

I'm picking up a car in Strasbourg at the train station and returning it to the train station at Angouleme. AutoEurope's best rate, which does not include the train station charge of 40EUR, is $282. I reserved a similar vehicle--slightly larger--through Avis's US website for $270 after calling up Avis and being told that the price includes all charges. The Avis rate for a Nissan Qashqai (or similar) was $163 for 5 days before surcharges and taxes that brought the charge to the $270 total. So the total Avis rate appears to be about $65 less than AutoEurope's.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone gotten an Avis rate only to find out that it did NOT include a rail station surcharge that you were then charged later?

Is it still better to go through AutoEurope because of their power in dealing with the agencies (versus an individual)? Thanks for your replies/opinions.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

Call autoeurope and see if they'll match the price. As for myself, I'd pay the extra to NOT drive something as ugly as a Qashqai! LOL

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

Funny response. I don't care as much about the ugliness of my rental vehicle as the rate and the odds of it breaking down.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

I sure wouldn't want a Qashqai, and I'd always opt for AutoEurope for the customer service and intervention abilities with the local suppliers. Plus, they'll likely match the price you got from Avis.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

<<Has anyone gotten an Avis rate only to find out that it did NOT include a rail station surcharge that you were then charged later?>>

This is a good question. One element you should clarify is that of "being told that the price includes all charges". Verbal guarantees are of absolutely no value when it comes time to pay the bill, you need to find, in writing, specifically what the charges are. There are also road taxes and possible one way fees (which Avis is famous for charging). I should like to see a line item comparison of all charges before I declared a definitive price advantage.

I'm not married to Autoeurope though I have used them countless times over the years. Recently, I have found AE to be noticeably more expensive than are other companies such as novacarhire.com . AE has also recently changed their cancellation policy which at one time was anytime before scheduled pickup. Sure someone will always write that AE seems willing to match anyone's price but I believe that my business should go to the company offering the best price without the need for constant back and forth about pricing.

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

I just got a confirmation in writing that there is no dropff charge from Avis. The rail station pickup surcharge is included in my total. So the total price is really $65 less than Auto Europe. And even though the Qashqai is listed, we all know that you never really know what specific vehicle you'll get until you're actually picking it up.

Still, I may see if Auto Europe will beat the rate with another supplier for logistical reasons. Our train to Paris that day is at 12:30, and we'll be coming up from Brantome. Avis's office closes for lunch at 11:30 while other rental agencies stay open until noon. If we get lost finding the rental agency (as happened in Bordeaux a couple years ago), the extra time might make a difference.

I do agree with you, though, Sarastro: "I believe that my business should go to the company offering the best price without the need for constant back and forth about pricing."

Wheaton, Maryland
Level Contributor
149 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

Auto Europe emailed that they'd match my rate with Avis (still getting the vehicle through Avis). I think I'll go with AE simply because if Avis doesn't have a car big enough for 4 people with 4 suitcases, AE would likely find another company that did. Avis might not do that.

(Sarastro--I checked novacarhire.com too, but they didn't have a car for my one-way route from Strasbourg to Angouleme.) Thanks, all. If I get a Qashqai, I'll take photos for all you fans.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

>>>Qashqai, I'll take photos for all you fans<<<

All things considered I guess I'd drive one too if it was the only thing available! After all... you don't have to look at it when you're behind the wheel! LOL

8. Re: One-way Avis rate $65 cheaper than AutoEurope over 5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 07:19