We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

I just recently discovered the village of Oradour-sur-Glane and am considering making it part of Europe trip this fall. Is there a recommended way to get there from Paris? Train, etc. Thank you!

Cynthia

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Rent a car and drive. Count on a litle over 5 hours from Paris.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

I take the train from Paris-Austerlitz to Limoges, which takes about 3 hours, then rent a car and drive to Oradour.

Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

I've only driven in countries where the signs are clearly in English, and even then, I've gotten lost plenty of times..I would prefer to let someone else do the driving! Are there buses to take? It doesnt look very far.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 01:29
Burbank
Level Contributor
343 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Looks like there's a number 12 bus that runs thru around 3 times a day.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

the place names are the same no matter what.

This is not an area to try to see via public transport. You really, really need a car.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Yes, you can take Line 12 of the Haute-Vienne transport buses from Limoges Gare SNCF to Oradour, but you'd need to check which are the périodes scolaires if any, whether they run on weekends, whether they reduce service at certain times of year, etc. It's not entirely clear on their website. Looks like there are three buses daily.

A car is vastly preferable for getting around this part of France. And road signs show the names of places (not translated to English for obvious reasons) and distance in kilometers (numbers - easy enough to understand). The only other thing you need to know is a few international road signs like the ones for yield, crossroads, right of way, etc., and those can be memorized from an atlas online in a couple of minutes.

How much time do you have for this trip?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Driving country roads in France is no more difficult than driving country roads in California. See my notes (including pictures of signs) at www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchDrive.htm

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

Hi - I am thinking of visiting there next year and curious if you took the train/bus option or rented a car? Thx

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

We keep chanting this mantra, and I don't know why everyone refuses to believe it:

THERE IS NO PUBLIC TRANSPORT. RENT A CAR.

Yes, I mean to shout. We keep saying it, and everyone keeps asking "but what about the bus? what about the train?" as though there were some magical transport fairy who has magically bought fancy buses for remote, sparsely-populated villages, or has magically laid down miles and miles of railroad track just to make their holiday a little easier.

It simply ain't there, folks -- if you wanna go, you have to do it under your own steam.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 20:50
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oradour-sur-Glane from Paris...best way to get there?

And it is well worth doing under your own steam. It is one of the most sobering experiences I have had in all my 69 years.