We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine Dining in Paris

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fine Dining in Paris

I'm planning a trip to Paris with a friend and being a bit of a foodie I'm looking for an amazing fine dining experience one evening. What I'm looking for is:

- traditional or modern French flavours

- somewhere we can get dressed up in nice cocktail dress style attire

- somewhere that does all the little extras that turn it from a meal into an experience - excellent service, amuse-bouches between courses etc

- budget of around $150-$200 per person + drinks

For those who have been to Daniel in New York, that is the type of place that I'm looking for. My friend has never been to a restaurant like that and I want her to experience how spending that much money on one meal can be worth it. Thanks for your help.

California
Destination Expert
for Grasse
Level Contributor
8,248 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Check the Michelin guide or site for 1- or 2--star restaurants in Paris. That should get you what you want within your budget.

Amuse-bouches (our French friends laughed when we used that expression and said that amuse-geules was more current, but they're in Provence) are usually offered before a meal, not during. Between courses you might get a sorbet or other palate-cleanser.

I am SO happy that you want to get dressed up!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
13,339 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Get a copy of Zagat Paris for the year, great reading. You can't possibly go to all the restaurants but it is well worth the $13 or so for the research and the vicarious living off it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

You could have the tasting menu at Le Cinq for 250€. Multi-course plus unannounced surprises along the way. Should blow your friend's socks into the next county. But besides perfect food, she will experience service that can't be topped. Their entire goal is to make you feel like the most important person in the room. Such cossetting might just be worth it just once.

fourseasons.com/paris/…

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Thanks for the suggestion Catullus and for the clarification about what an Amuse-bouches, unfortunately this type of dining is a very rare treat for me so I'm not completely up on the correct terms :)

Yeah, I don't understand people who don't like getting dressed up every now and again, I think its part of the fun and what makes it special, especially if you don't get to do it all the time. Same as dressing up to go to the theatre, its sad its not as common as it used to be.

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

MPilgrim, Thank you for the suggestion, Le Cinq sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for in terms of experience but unfortunately its a little bit higher priced than I had hoped, guess I will have to try and save up a little extra ;)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

If you are willing to go at lunch, there is a special 95€ fixed price lunch. Same quality, not all the choices altho I've often heard that if one asks quite politely they are often allowed to substitute off the main menu, same super service. Perhaps dress up but not quite to cocktail level and enjoy lunch, then a Seine cruise in the evening?

Edited to ad: In fact, I know a handful of people who go to Le Zinc with some regularity...but they always go at lunch.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 04:31
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Dressing up and having a fine meal in Paris is one of life's great pleasures. Go for it!

Catullus is right that an amuse-bouche or amuse-gueule is the little bite they offer you at the beginning of a meal. It's a one-time thing, not something that happens throughout the meal, though, depending on the meal there may be a palate cleanser at some point ( usually during a Normand meal, known as the "trou Normand," a bit of a sorbet or something to cleanse your palate and get you ready for the rest of the dinner)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,268 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Actually you may be offered a number of little free tastes between courses at really top places. Both Guy Savoy and Le Jules Verne had extras, not sorbets but little bites, even a small dish of tiny mussels in broth, foie gras on a silver skewer and sweetmeats (mignardises) at the end of the meal. One place even had a chocolate trolley at the end, when I sadly had no room left at all.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

Book on line at Guy Savoy whose on line lunch is 115 Euros and is a wonderful experience and a more traditional French experience.

For something different and exciting and in my view more cutting edge try Yamt'cha which is French/Chinese fusion where you will pay 100 Euros plus drinks.

I'm sorry but they use Euros in France and I don't know the US$/Euro conversion rate.

Taree, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine Dining in Paris

That's what I was thinking of Lynn, its those little extras that make you feel special and one of the things that distinguish the top restaurants from the really good in terms of having an experience that you'll remember for a long time, along with fantastic and of course amazing food.