We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel in France

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel in France

Hi,

I would like to travel in France on train, have some questions:

> When I tried booking for train tickets via raileurope, I saw "Reservation not included", that means my train ticket is not reserved? Or my ticket is secured but I have no designated seats, it is free seating?

> Can I book connecting trains that are 10mins apart? Are French trains on time? Can the platforms for connecting trains be located and travelled to easily?

> Should I missed the connecting train I had reserved/booked, can I just take the next train or will I have to repurchase a ticket?

Thanks.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel in France

Do not use Rail Europe. You'll save a lot of money by booking at http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/ or at www.capitainetrain.com.

Reservation is included in the price. Seats cannot be reserved on regional trains (TER), though.

Ten minutes is enough to change trains. If you miss the connecting train, the SNCF will give you a ticket for the next train.

To read more about train travel in France, visit http://www.seat61.com/France.htm .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel in France

Thanks Tommi1. Will go check out the websites.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel in France

If you are purchasing TGV tickets through Rail Europe, yes, you WILL have to pay an extra fee for the "reservation." Just another reason NOT to use Rail Europe.

10 minutes is plenty of time to change in most stations.

If you miss a train through your own fault, you will not be able to get on the next train without paying for another ticket. If you miss your train as a result of an SNCF error, you'll be taken care of at no extra cost.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel in France

Another question:

What are the differences between the seat options in SNCF website?

What are >Carriage seats >Compartment seats?

If I have a big luggage and I wish to seat near the area where I can leave my big luggage, which seat should I choose?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train travel in France

Do not have big luggage. For train travel, it is essential that you do not have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourself. There is nobody to help you at the stations, there may be stairs to the platforms, and there are always a few steep steps up into the train.

T

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train travel in France

Where are you planning to connect?

Do you have any mobility issues?

are there later trains available?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train travel in France

I will be travelling by rail for many times in my trip. The connecting one is from Carcassonne to Avignon.

I can handle the luggage, but it is too big to fit the regular over the seat compartment for smaller bags.

Just feel safer if the luggage is at least within my sight.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,886 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train travel in France

The theft of luggage from long-distance trains is not a significant problem. Do not worry about it.

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train travel in France

We are three who will be traveling to four cities in France over a 2 week period. What is a good plan?

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train travel in France

What cities? How old are the passengers? What 2-week period? Hard to come up with a plan without having any idea where you want to go, and when.