We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French Riviera!

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
French Riviera!

Hey Guys,

My partner and I will be travelling to the French Riviera June/July 2014. We have never been to Europe! We are hoping to get your knowledge and expertise!

How long should we spend on the French Riviera and where are the places to stay where its not too expensive?

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
342 reviews
from US$60.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,253 reviews
from US$105.45*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Palace of Versailles...
496 reviews
from US$303.01*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
533 reviews
from US$43.63*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French Riviera!

Well, I would not spend one night there, as I regard it as gross over-development that rivals Surfers Paradise for ruining an attractive stretch of coastline. Other people love it, and could spend a month or more there. How long you should spend there depends on your priorities.

"Not too expensive" is very vague. How much are you hoping to spend each night, in euros?

Lords Valley...
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: French Riviera!

Get a good guidebook, do your homework and then come back to the forum with specific questions. Rick Steves "Provence and the French Riviera" should get you started.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: French Riviera!

Nice has the best hostel accomodation ,plenty of night life, and is a transport hub for the region , with cheap transport to the alps, perched villages etc

There is zero ressemblance between the Riviera and surfers paradise except there is sea involved

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
20 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: French Riviera!

We are thinking of spending 3 nights on the French Riviera. Nice and Cannes were our base cities that we were looking to stay and further, branch out from here and explore the other nearby cities.

From the French Riviera we'd then be moving on to the Italian Riviera for 4 nights where I'll be proposing to my partner!

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: French Riviera!

Face it, you picked a really IMO overhyped expensive tourist area of France (and apparently Italy also) to visit. It's going to cost you. It's very pretty, that's for sure, and I sense your excitement about it, but I also get the impression you are total newbies to Europe and thinking yachts and the Mediterranean and fancy hotels and balconies and wine and cheese and champagne and caviar, and all that standard European BS is invading your common sense. You could probably spend twice as long in Europe on a honeymoon in some perfectly magical places if the Riviera weren't your destination. But go for it, if you actually know about it and that's what you want. I second the suggestion for Nice if you're not a millionaire.

6. Re: French Riviera!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 20:38
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: French Riviera!

>>There is zero ressemblance between the Riviera and surfers paradise<<

They are both gross over-developments that have ruined some attractive coastline.

Antibes, France
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: French Riviera!

Probably worth pointing out that the Riviera has been attracting visitors since ancient Greek times certainly where I live -Antibes or to the ancients Antipolis. On the whole has not weathered too badly compared to some modern tourist resorts which have barely managed to survive a few decades before becoming unliveable. If you tire of the coastal fleshpots you are only a few miles from unbelievably perched hill villages, virtually uninhabited country where wolves roam and 10,000 foot mountains with ski resorts in Nic's sunny backyard.

Ed

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: French Riviera!

Nice has been attracting tourists for hundreds of thousands of years - from early nomadic hunter 300,000 years ago

There are no highrises in Nice , while the Gold Coast lacks a huge mediaeval old town , old port area, and extensive area of 18thc buildings, belle epoque architecture, Baroque churches , Russian cathedral in the Moscow style, Ancient Roman amphitheatre and largest bathhouse remains in France, Musuems, provencal markets and it appears it also lacks much in the way of Art Deco since its mainly post ww2 development

aberdeen
Level Contributor
421 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: French Riviera!

Don't want to put a downer on your plans; however, IMO, the French Riviera is a much more attractive area than the Italian Riviera.