We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercity buses

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Intercity buses

Are there any buses which provide transportation between cities in France? Where can I find schedules and fares?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,086 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercity buses

For all practical purposes, there are no long-distance buses in France. The way to travel between towns is by train.

Andrésy, France
Level Contributor
5,729 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercity buses

There are very few long distance road services in France. See idBus or Eurolines. The time taken & the savings if any will probably dissuade you from using them.

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercity buses

It depends what you mean by long distance and where in France you are referring to

which cities are you wanting to travel between?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,509 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercity buses

There is no real equivalent of the USA's Greyhound or the UK's National Express, in the sense of a domestic inter-city coach network in France.

Barcelona, Spain
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Intercity buses

There is a new service mega bus but is uk based https://uk.megabus.com/ It runs from London to Barcelona Spain and London Belgium and there is link from Paris to Belgium so possible to go London Paris Belgium or London Paris Barcelona with stops in France on the way going south to Toulouse. Prices are real cheap example often Paris Barcelona is €15 ~ $20 ~£10 . They do Germany Cologne only best i can figure Amsterdam as well .However the web site mega bus is clunky when trying to use Europe mainland connections only as it is UK based. France trains service SNCF isnt really that cheap for arrive and pay ticket cost that day you travel often €25 cents per kilometer .To get the cheap tickets best to buy months in advance . So when i get the urge to go paris i will be booking myself on mega bus the Barcelona to Paris as even last minute prices seem to be ~€25 sometimes less . In France there is share car options car going your way with seats to spare very cheap from http://www.kelbillet.com Hope that helps

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,356 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Intercity buses

You can book onto the French long-distance coach service called "iDBus" by going to www.voyages-sncf and clicking on "Bus". There are fairly limited services based on Paris and radiating out to Lille, Lyon, Montpellier, Nice, Aix and destinations in Belgium and Italy.

They take at least twice as long as the train and the fares are about half the train fares. They are really aimed at the limited income domestic market, not overseas visitors who can afford to holiday in France. If the booking system is anything like the iDTGV trains you'll find it will only accept French credit cards. Like others have said, travelling by train is the way to go.

7. Re: Intercity buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 07:16