We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with translation

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with translation

Hi, I need some help with a translation from English to French. I would like to translate "love me for who I am". I have asked a family friend from France and she said "aime moi comme je suis" but I have also heard "aime moi pour ce que je suis" and also "aime moi pour qui je suis". I am confused now and have no idea which is correct.

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am desperate now. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with translation

Literally, it is " aime-moi pour qui je suis" but it is not very elegant and people would say "aime moi pour ce que je suis".

"Aime-moi comme je suis" would be "love me as I am". There has been a recent thread about it.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with translation

Aime moi would only be used when speaking to one close person. If you are speaking to more than one person or to a person who is not so close "Aimez moi pour ce que je suis" would be better.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with translation

If addressing a person using the familiar version of "you" i.e. "tu", shouldn't the phrase be "aimes-moi" (the letter "s" being added as you would for "tu aimes moi"?

Edited: 29 September 2013, 01:10
Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with translation

No. The imperative tense does not take an "s" at the 2nd person of the singular.

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with translation

"Tu aimes moi" is not french. It should be "Tu m'aimes"

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with translation

<The imperative tense does not take an "s" at the 2nd person of the singular>

The imperative is a mood, not a tense. :-)

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with translation

Thank you tradeform - a basic error on my part.

<<The imperative is a mood, not a tense>>

which presumably accounts for the missing "s" that would normally be present in all other tense forms of "tu"?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with translation

<<The imperative is a mood, not a tense>>

<which presumably accounts for the missing "s" that would normally be present in all other tense forms of "tu"?>

Lack of "s" on the tu-form imperative of -er verbs is a spelling convention. There is probably a historical explanation for it but I don't know what it is.

The "s" reappears when the imperative is linked to the words "y" and "en" - to avoid an awkward glottal stop in the middle of the phrase.

Thus you say: "pense à moi" (think of me) but "penses-y" (think of that, i.e. don't forget it, don't lose sight of it).

Also: "plante des roses" (plant roses) but "plantes-en" (plant some).

"Tense" means "time" (and in French is actually the same word: "temps") The tenses are the forms of a verb that place the action it describes at a particular point in time: present, future, past ...

Edited: 29 September 2013, 14:24
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with translation

Thank you. Either way, it sounds the same but the OP sparked my interest as to when to add/omit the "s" in the written format.

CA
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with translation

Thank you all for your help with the translation.