We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time holiday in Paris. Best area to stay?

2 posts
Save Topic
First time holiday in Paris. Best area to stay?

Me and my boyfriend are planning to go paris in February 2014 for 2 nights. I'm 20 and my boyfriends 24. We want to be able to get to some of the main sights easily, whether it be by metro or by walking. I would also like to stay in a hotel in a busier and more touristy area with restaurants, shops, bars and clubs. Is there any particular areas anyone could suggest?

Florida
Level Contributor
639 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time holiday in Paris. Best area to stay?

I am staying here this time because it is highly rated at a good price and near the train station that we will be arriving at from the Loire Valley. tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187147-d265343… The last 2 times we enjoyed the Rue Cler/Eiffel Tower area. I have also stayed in the Arc de Triomphe and also the Opera House areas. If you are near a metro or bus stop it is very easy to get from one area to another. I would suggest you download a good Paris guidebook and do research in the Paris hotels section here on TA. It is hard to advise without knowing your budget.

I like the Rick Steve's guidebook of Paris or all France which I copied from below. www.ricksteves.com

“Sleeping in Paris

I’ve focused most of my recommendations in four safe, handy, and colorful neighborhoods: the village-like Rue Cler (near the Eiffel Tower), the artsy and trendy Marais (near Place de la Bastille), the historic island of Ile St. Louis (next door to Notre-Dame), and the lively and Latin yet classy Luxembourg Garden neighborhood (on the Left Bank). Before choosing a hotel, read the descriptions of the neighborhoods closely. Each offers different pros and cons: Your neighborhood is as important as your hotel for the success of your trip.

You’ll also find recommendations for good budget accommodations in two more neighborhoods—Montmartre and along lively Rue Mouffetard—plus a few bed-and-breakfast and apartment-rental agencies”

Excerpt From: Rick Steves & Steve Smith. “Rick Steves' France 2013.” Avalon Travel, 2012. iBooks.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https:/…

Edited: 29 October 2013, 22:07
Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time holiday in Paris. Best area to stay?

There is no place in Paris from which all the sites are easily accessible on foot (the city wasn't built over centuries with modern-day tourists in mind), but if you figure out the métro and bus systems you can get anywhere easily. There is also virtually no place in Paris that isn't within spitting distance of plenty of cafés and bakeries and restaurants and shopping. For 20-somethings, the Oberkampf and Bastille areas are popular and lively.

Edited: 30 October 2013, 00:28
3. Re: First time holiday in Paris. Best area to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:17