We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

As the title suggests, this trip report will cover my 2 week vacation in the above referenced French départements. If you have an extra hour and a half to kill then you should probably do something useful but as an alternative I offer you the idle pleasure of following me around one of the many beautiful regions you could explore in France. The trip starts here: http://tinyurl.com/q6bb5av

MD
Level Contributor
700 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

There's nobody I'd rather see go away than you...because you write such great trip reports.

I have work but I can ignore that. I know what's important in life, and France is it. Here goes.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

Reading your trip report just makes me want to go back !!! It's been too long. One of the region I like most in France. But I'm amazed to see how some places have been overrun by the tourism industry. I remember Collonges-la-Rouge the first time I discovered it early '90.... and now. What a change ! But still as lovely. Glad you had some a great time !

Your reports are awesome like always ! Thank you so muck to take the time to write them :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

"There's nobody I'd rather see go away than you..." - If you want to sponsor my next vacation Cloverdale I'll tell you where to send the money. ;)

planner - Thanks for your awesome compliments!

MD
Level Contributor
700 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

If your next vacation is a day trip to Paris, I think we can afford to send you there, on the bus, one way. We're generous like that.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

You are sooo generous Cloverdale !

Isn't that wonderful ? lol ^.^

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

You probably already know this, FMT, but those "Honneur à nos élus" and so forth signs/wreaths/pine trees are an ancient pagan tradition called, at least in the Périgord Noir, "La fête de la mai" or "Honneurs de la mai." The pine trees often associated with them are called "les arbres de la mai." Each year a communie or village or town honors the mayor, elected officials, or well-known businesses that have most contributed to the community with a ceremony that involves locals gathering around a special spot, pouring a glass of wine into the earth, and then erecting a pine tree or wreath, with flags and a sign like the one you showed in your photo. I have been invited to several, and it's a convivial and meaningful ceremony to local elected officials or respected community members. Needless to say, I've never qualified :)

I enjoyed the question about Brits and campgrounds and have asked myself the same thing many times. Not that the campgrounds in France are anything to be sneezed at.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,185 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

Actually StCirq I didn't know about that tradition and I don't think my Mrs does either and it's really interesting so thank you for that explanation. Still don't know what it is about campgrounds and Brits though.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

I can't believe there's something you and the Mrs. didn't know, FMT! It's hard to find information online about it, as I just discovered, but check this out and scroll down to Monde Occitain : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbre_de_mai

There's much more information in old books that aren't online, but mine are in France at the moment.

9. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 January 2016, 14:00
Edited: 13 January 2016, 14:00
Languedoc-Roussillon...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
11,953 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: Two Weeks in the Corrèze, Lot and Dordogne

Another ex-camper over many years here - in England, Scotland, France, Switzerland and Italy. We even worked on a campsite one summer, in the Alps - a wonderful set of memories; a lovely place, superb views, friendly village and the campers weren't bad either.

Lots of nationalities are keen on camping, but the Dutch are really the main campers, from what we've seen over the years. Going up and down from southern England to southern France several times each year, we mainly see Dutch and German caravans too.

When my back and knees began to give up on camping we bought a caravan; when they really gave up we bought an apartment in France, where most of our holidays had always been.