We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

I read that the A75 can be snowed in winter.We are planning to go by train to south of france then drive from montpellier to millau bridge. Does anyone know what the conditions of A75 goin g north is like in mid janaury?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

I've travelled over the Millau Viaduct three times but not in winter. On one of those occasions there were exceptionally heavy winds but the Bridge stayed open.

The authorities are very reassuring about travelling the A75 and over the Millau Viaduct during winter. See this webpage and scroll down to 'Circuler l'hiver en toute securite':

leviaducdemillau.com/version_html/actualites…

I don't know if you understand French, but basically it says that during winter they work 24/7 to ensure drivers are safe in all conditions.

Having said that, no-one can predict the weather. It could be dreadful, so don't take unnecessary risks. Or it could be a beautiful sunny Winter's day. I suggest you look at the weather forecast a day or two in advance and decide if you want to do it. Wrap up well, including a hat that doesn't blow away in the wind ...

The Millau Viaduct is stunningly beautiful. Everyone has their 'top10' in France and this is one of mine. If you go, I recommend stopping at the service area and walk the 15 minutes or so to see it close up. But also go to some of the other places from where you can see the whole span of the Viaduct (including from the old Millau road).

Hope it works out for you!

Edited: 11 November 2013, 19:28
Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

The section from Montpellier to Millau is not prone to snow as it's not too high and benefits from the warm influence of the Mediterranean sea. Any snow on the A75 will be quite a bit further north where it rises to around 1400metres.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 19:47
Montelimar, France
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9t73Ypad5k

This is part of the long climb from exit 51 to 49 to the Parc naturel des Grands Causses and the Larzac plateau.Average elevation 800 m /900 m .

I wouldn't be so sure about the lack of snow but as Celestina puts it, the authorities are very well prepared .

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/ maps to check elevations and autoroutes.fr/en/Realtime-traffic-informatio…

www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/diri/listeflashs.do…

for traffic info .

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

Of course, it can snow anywhere in France in January (last weekend I came across some old photos I took of people skiing across la Place de la Comédie in the centre of Montpellier), but typically that stretch of the A75 isn't known for snow causing problems although it must happen occasionally. I've lost count of the times I've driven the A75, and the big snow problems, if there were any, have always been nearer the St Flour exit.

Re-reading the OP, I may have misunderstood. If you're talking of driving from Millau back to Lyon, then there are some great drives cutting across the Massif Central. This is one of my favourite areas of France and the least populated. The "all autoroute" option isn't bad either as both the A75 and A89 are quite spectacular in parts, as motorway driving goes.

In terms of snow, it's pretty much hit or miss, with some years only the peaks having any real snow to talk of. No one can say. If you move the mouse over the grey/black dots on the website below you get the live webcam image of that section of road. You can always decide the day before you leave. I used to drive around that whole area a lot and in winter I was more worried about flooding and fog than snow, although I did get caught out once.

enroute.massif-central.equipement.gouv.fr/

5. Re: A75 from millau bridge to lyon or via A9 in january

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:16