We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of flying pets to France from US

Amherst, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of flying pets to France from US

I'm really torn about whether or not to take our 50-lb Husky mix with us on our 18-week sabbatical to France. I've read some pretty awful things about deaths/injuries while the animal is in the hold, and the American Humane Society recommends against it "unless its absolutely necessary" but people must do it or what - give up their pets? I see crated animals in airports, so I know others aren't as concerned about it as I am. Can anybody give me some reassurances based on your own travels? He's very attached to us, and even an excellent caregiver won't make up for our being away for so long. Help!

Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of flying pets to France from US

I brought my Australian terrier cross (then 4 years old) from Sydney to London on a one way trip because the only alternative was to leave her behind and this was out of the question. When we arrived in London she had been in a crate for 29 hours, the flight time being 23 hours and she appeared none the worse for wear. However I would never do it again and therefore I cannot now return to Australia (8 years later).

As you are going on holiday you must consider how unhappy your dog would be without you for 18 weeks as against the possible harm he would come to on the flights. In my opinion a lot of psychological damage can come to a dog if the owner is absent for that length of time.

Now I never go anywhere without my dog, if she can't go I don't. If you decide to take your dog be sure all the paperwork, vaccinations etc are all in order. Good luck.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,417 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of flying pets to France from US

There is a lot of paperwork which must be completed and vet visits must be coordinated with your departure date. It would also be good to know your route. If you are taking a non stop flight, perhaps from BOS, the risks are minimal because the dog will only be away from your for the period of the flight - about 6 hours. Multiple legs can complicate the process and increase the possibility of concerns.

Dogs fly in cargo compartments all of the time. It shouldn´ t overly worry about it.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,423 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of flying pets to France from US

TA now has a "travelling with pets" forum where such things are discussed all the time, the pros/cons, paperwork, rules regulations etc.

Worth a browse at least, and maybe another post there....

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i26969-Travel…

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of flying pets to France from US

We shipped our 125-pound buddy with Continental's PetSafe program -- they have an office at CDG, staffed with friendly people who want to make sure your pet has the best possible experience.

Even though his connecting flight was cancelled and he had to spend the night in Newark, I have nothing but great things to say about the service. They gave me the number for the holding kennel, and the young man who answered was incredibly sweet and empathetic. He told me that they have a fully staffed veterinary facility at Newark, including round-the-clock veterinarians specially trained in animals who travel by air.

Highly recommended (but brace yourself -- your dog will easily cost more for HIM to travel than for YOU.)

5. Re: Safety of flying pets to France from US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 06:21