We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurostar penknife confiscation

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Eurostar penknife confiscation

I was recently travelling from St Pancras to Lille on Eurotar. I had my Opinel penknife in my case and this was picked up on xray and confiscated. They could not provide any explanation as to why it was "illegal" to take a French penknife back into France. They did tell me that it would be quite OK to bring the same knife back from France to the UK on Eurostar. They also said It go in a special bag for £18 !

None of this makes any sense to me. Can anyone shed any light on the legality of this confiscation.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,221 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurostar penknife confiscation

I have had a large picnic knife confiscated on a Spanish fast train. I guess they fear you could run amok with it. They had signs up saying no knives so it had to go. Had it been on my person I think I would have been OK. It was only the luggage that was xrayed.

Arrowtown, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurostar penknife confiscation

Seems reasonable to assume that they fear you might run amuck in the train. However (a) there is no driver, so quite unlike an aircraft, and (b) they said it would not be a problem to bring the knife from Lille back to London on the train !

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,265 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurostar penknife confiscation

eurostar.com/uk-en/….Up2vweLjVDU

4. Re: Eurostar penknife confiscation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18