We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

Saint Petersburg
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

In June I am spending a week in Barcelona before we come to France. I know I want to end up in Paris but I have NO idea where in France to go before. I'm looking for a city that I won't need a car and is a train ride away from Barcelona. Any suggestions??

I was interested in maybe a wine town...loved Tuscany last year. So I looked at Provence but from what I am understanding there isn't really one area there large enough to fill 4 days (with maybe a hired tour one day)but small enough to do by foot. I seem to be reading that you really need a car to drive village to village. I also read it isn't easy to get there from Barcelona. *sigh* So I am lost and don't know where to go.

Also, what is the most convenient and fun area of Paris to stay. We tend to like the more artistic/bohemia areas..

THANK YOU in advance :)

Jessica (who is currently freezing in Florida)

Perpignan, France
Destination Expert
for Languedoc-Roussillon, Perpignan
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

What do you mean by "wine town"? Vinyards do not grow in the middle of towns and without a car, you won't be able to visit many wineries.

Montreal
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

In Provence, in Avignon for example, you can easily visit Arles and Aix-en-Provence from there by train. The take the TGV up to Paris. You could easily spend 4 days there.

Other possibilities could be Lyon and/or Dijon with a day trip to Beaune.

As to how easy to get there from Barcelona... I let others answer that for you :-)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,884 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

The best area for getting around without a car is Nice. It's not an easy train ride from Barcelona. But there are cheap flights. Check www.skyscanner.net for flight options. From Nice you can take the TGV to Paris.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,902 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

The only place to visit "villages" by train would probably require that you go to Nice--a very long ride as noted above. There are many pretty places to see in day visits by local trains from there that might make it worth it, though. Otherwise, Avignon would be a good base to see medium-sized towns that are nice and could easily keep you occupied. In either case, you can encounter cafes where you can enjoy trying the wines of the area (rather than seeing it made)!

5. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 13:21
6. Re: WHERE in FRANCE..I'm so confused, coming from Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:31