We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
16 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Hi Everyone

We (two of us) are from Australia,and while we have travelled independently a bit, we are planning our first trip to Western Europe in early May this year. We are planning 5 weeks but can extend a little. We know there is so much to see and in fact we could spend the time in one country however we would like to see a little more.

We want to see London, Paris, Rome and maybe Amsterdam. We are in our fifties and pretty fit. Budget is not really a major issue.

We have been looking at the "first time" itineraries and trying to fine down our plan. We envisage flying into London and out from Rome.So far this is our intinerary :

Day 1-6 London

Day 7 -10 Amsterdam ( flying London to Amsterdam)

Day 11-16 Paris ( train from Amsterdam to Paris)

Day 17-21 Paris to Nice by car ( 2 of the nights in Nice - where else should we stop on way? )

Day 22-24 Nice to Milan ( by train)

Day 25-27 Milan to Venice 9 (by train)

Day 28-30 Venice to Florence (by train)

Day 31-34 Sorrento/Positano or Cinque Terre ( one of these places as a base) (how should we get from Florence to Sorrento or should we go to Rome first and then onto the South?

Day 35 -39 Rome

Day 40 Leave Rome for a few days in Dubai

We are Ok with dropping Amsterdam if there are other ideas and of course getting the Rome - Sorrento order worked out to be most efficient.

Thanks for considering our itinerary and help you may afford us will be greatly appreciated.

T

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,992 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

You might look at taking a train from London to Amsterdam, changing trains at Brussels. The journey usually takes 4h45, but flying would not be much faster from city centre to city centre. See www.eurostar.com

I would suggest you see the Cinque Terre rather than Amalfi Coast. They are both just areas with pretty seaside villages. Since the rest of your time in Italy is north of Rome, it seems pointless to go all the way south to Naples.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Firstly, this looks as a amaizing trip !!!

If budget is not an issue, I wouldn't drop Amsterdam, such an interessting city!

I think the way of your trip is pretty logical.

Where to stop Beetween Paris and Nice (for 1 or 2 nights?) My choice will go for somewhere beetween Dijon and Beaune (winerie place, both city centers interesting..)

Also Avignon is nice, but more south.

Also as you stay long in London and Paris, you could consider a day trip by train, respectively to Brighton (very famous resort in UK) and to Provins (Old medieval town).

Hope this hels

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,366 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

I sort of query why you are driving Paris to Nice when you can take the TGV and be there in 5.75 hours. Better still, break for two nights in Avignon, about 2.5 hours where you might hire a car for a day to see some of the gorgeous Provencal towns.

The drive to Nice has a few interesting bits but is generally pretty slow and awful, with railway tracks and used car yards all around in places.

Nice to Milan will involve a change of train at Ventigmiia.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Avignon to Nice can be done using the motorway, that makes it faster (also more expensive but the poster does not really want to care).

But I agree with the Idea of taking a train to Dijon or Avignon, rent a car for 2 days, then contunuing by train

Paris, France
Level Contributor
11,932 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Looks fine to me but I would drop Milan and just visit places along the Italian coast. The coast of Italy is much better than Milan, which I didn't really care for but that's just my opinion. Keep Amsterdam.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,959 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Instead of Milan, you might add a couple of nights on Lake Como. It's just stunning. I spent 1 day in Milan and felt it was enough.

I agree with comments about taking the train to Nice.

I do have some concerns that you are moving around too much. Be sure to allow some time for laundry. This is when it's nice to have a longer stay in an apartment with a washing machine.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
867 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

It's funny (and interesting) to see diffrents point of view... In my opinion they're staying too much time in some places, and for you they're moving too much... xD

At least, the trip is realistic. That's the most important

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
16 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. We pleased that the broader itinerary looks ok and will review some of the detail now .

Just great!!!

Thanks again

T

Chateaurenard...
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

Let me set the cat among the pigeons. I too say take the train to Avignon & another on to Nice. Paris to Nice is a 1000 km very boring drive often with heavy traffic. I also say skip Milan. Although there are some things to see there, it is far from being the most beautiful italian city. I beg to differ about Cinque Terre and much prefer the Amalfi coast. I suggest staying in Ravello - an absolute gem.

10. Re: 5 weeks in Europe - First time - Need help with Itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 06:19