We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
587 reviews
Save Topic
Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

I'm an eu citizen and tried to buy a single country rail pass for France here uk.voyages-sncf.com but the drop down menu for putting the number of ppl 60+ doesn't function, only for other age groups, can someone explain???

Edited: 01 February 2014, 21:04
Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
494 reviews
from US$72.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,171 reviews
from US$108.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
585 reviews
from US$51.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

The drop down menu functions properly for me. If you are having difficulties, you might empty your browsers temp directory (folder) and then close and restart your browser.

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,783 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

I agree the drop down menu is disabled for seniors so you would just buy a regular adult pass but the question is why do you want a rail pass? They are rarely good value in France and if your trips involve TGV trains you will still have to book seats in addition to the rail passes. If you have specific travel plans and routes it is usually best to buy separate tickets as the rail passes are extremely expensive. The earlier the cheaper.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
23,128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

My apologies.

I failed to make note that you were attempting to purchase a pass, I was thinking you were referencing a ticket purchase.

The rail pass function for the age 60+ and youth options do not work for my either. This could be a malfunction on the website or it could mean that these options are priced no differently than the normal adult options.

You may want to use the ¨Contact¨ function on the top line of the website and send an inquiry to the SNCF.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

If you are planning substantial travel, you might consider a Senior+ Pass which gives substantial discounts (like 50% on some tickets) on all classes of train travel plus discounts on car rental. It costs 60€ a year, but you can absorb that in just one or two TGV rides.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 22:04
Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
412 posts
587 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the differences between the different options mentioned when I finalise my itinerary. Basically I want to spend a month going to Paris, Lyon, Nice and Bordeaux and the reason I'd thought a pass would be ok as i'd simplify how to get around.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

if you are physically disabled on a wheelchair can you buy a discount ticket on TGV from marne la vallee to Marselle.

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

how can I get physicaly disabled pass on TGV

Nice
Level Contributor
12,655 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

There isnt a special railpass like in the UK - you either have the option of a free ticket for a companion [if your proof of disability says you must be accompanied by a companion/aide] or the companion tickets is half price if this is not expressly stated .

However you can arrange help at station by contacting accessplus =-

télephone : 0890 640 650 (0.11 € per minute )

fax : 0825 825 957 (0.15 € per minute)

email: accesplus@sncf.fr

internet : accesplus.sncf.com

or organise at Gare or sncf Boutique

Book assistance at least 48 hours in advance and you must be at the station 30 mins before train departure.

9. Re: Can you buy a French rail pass if you're a senior?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 05:15