We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

I am arriving into Gare De Lyon by TGV. i have exact 50 mins to travel from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord to catch a THAYLS train to Belgium. Can someone advise me what is the best train to take so avoid any congestion? Can i purchase the train tickets in advance too ? thank you.

Eiffel Tower Summit Priority Access...
482 reviews
from US$72.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Moulin Rouge Show Paris
3,158 reviews
from US$108.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Eiffel Tower Priority Access Ticket...
577 reviews
from US$46.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
460 reviews
from US$332.80*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,213 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

Take RER Line E from Gare de Lyon towards Creil and get off at Gare du Nord. The journey is only 2 stations and will take about 10 minutes. Tickets are not available on the Internet, but there are many ticket machines at the RER station at Gare de Lyon.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

I think sydneynick meant to say RER D instead of RER E since the RER E doesn't run between Gare de Lyon and Gare du Nord. I'll also mention that RER D doesn't always have frequent trains so it can sometimes be faster to take RER A from Gare de Lyon to Châtelet-les-Halles and when you arrive there you simply walk about 10 meters to the adjacent platform and take RER B to Gare du Nord. If you really want to get precise with your train timing then use either the website www;ratp.fr or www.transilien.com or www.vianavigo.com and when you arrive at Gare de Lyon if you have mobile phone/internet access you can see which is the fastest transit time. Having 50 minutes should be enough time between these two stations. The ticket machines have English language options so buying a ticket shouldn't be a problem for you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,213 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

Sorry, yes. It is RER Line D.

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

thank you for this helpful hint on RER D. Frankly, I am concerned about the waiting time at the ticketing machines. Have been told that it can be long queues. Can i purchase the RER tickets when Im in Dijon Ville, pl? I am taking a TGV from Dijon to Gare De Lyon. Or maybe on the TGV train itself? Any chance of me buying the tickets in advance, pl?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,213 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

Tickets for Paris public transport are sold only in Paris. You cannot buy them in Dijon, or on board the TGV, or over the Internet. There may be queues for staffed ticket offices, but there are many ticket machines (which work in English) and seldom large queues. You have plenty of time.

Singapore, Singapore
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

Noted and thank you. If i were to buy the RER tickets in bulk carnet of 10 tickets, how much would i have to pay? is the validity of the tickets just for that day of purchase? or can I use them at a later stage, pl?

Will the ticket be valid for crossing between Gare De Nord and Gare De Lyon? Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
89,213 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

The journey is entirely within central Paris, so you use ordinary metro/bus tickets. These tickets have no expiry date. From memory, I think a carnet of 10 costs around €14.

8. Re: Getting from Gare De Lyon to Gare De Nord

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 06:17