We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

East Greenwich...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

Hi,

many years ago, before the internet, my husband and i would travel to all parts of europe and stop and stay in a town we liked, i usually looked for the "Chambre de hotes" or "pension" signs and go in and ask if they have a room available and how much it was, never had a problem finding a room. Because I haven't traveled like this in a long time I'm wondering if this is still possible? This might seen like a stupid question but the last thing i want to do is start driving and find out that bed and breakfasts are busier and we'd be taking a chance. We are thinking of the rhone-alpes areas and the loire valley areas. We would be traveling 4/22-4/30/14. Thanks!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
21,780 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

There are several networks which will help you find the best chambres d´hôtes:

http://www.fleursdesoleil.fr/

http://www.cheznous.com/

http://www.gites-de-france.fr/

Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

You can still do that.

April is not a massive busy time, so finding accommodation "on-spec" like that is IMO feasable, however, you may find that the "best" places are taken, so prepare to be flexible....

The internet is definitely a help, and sat-navs often show accommodations so I'm told, can help to reduce the "randomly driving around and around looking for something" factor!

Local tourist offices are also helpful with finding places at short notice, so definitely make use of them, too...

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
12,645 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

As you'll be visiting at Easter, I wouldn't suggest leaving booking until the last minute.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

The site below has many high-end guest houses, and while some prices are over the top, you can get a really nice room in a nice place for as little as 60€ in low season.

https:/…home.html

East Greenwich...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

Hi Essex wanderer,

Thanks for the information, I'm not familiar with "sat-navs" is, could you clarify?

Thanks, ester

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

"sat-nav" is the British short form for a GPS device like a TomTom or Garmin.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,861 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

If you want to retain the feeling of spontaneity, why not select a few places, make a note of the B&B telephone numbers and ring ahead to check vacancies.

We have found some really nice chambre d'hotes in villages "off the beaten track" that we would have otherwise missed had we not done some research beforehand. It is not always easy to spot the little signs if you don't have any idea where to look for them.

Just to clarify re "sat-nav" it is short for satellite navigation

Edited: 18 February 2014, 14:19
Essex
Level Contributor
27,660 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

Ah, I had not really spotted that your travel time is at Easter....

That puts a different slant on things....

Might well be wiser to book ahead, if there are some places you specifically want to be.

Once rode all the way to Bordeaux, then found no room at the inn, not much fun that night.....

Oz en Oisans, France
Level Contributor
613 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

Hello,

You dont say which part of the Alps you are thinking of visiting. If you are thinking of anywhere near the ski resorts you may find places either shut as its end of season or full as its school holidays.

You should also note that between your dates on the weekend of the 25th April all régions in France are on school holidays.

The 18th to the 21st is Easter here in France. Monday is a holiday day so some shops, museums etc may be shut. if you arrive on the 22nd you should find business as normal.

As a minimum you should consider booking the busy weekends

Enjoy your vacation

East Greenwich...
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling and staying bed and breakfasts in France

Thank you for letting me know about the school vacations. We get into Paris on the 22nd, after Easter and we will be in Paris for 2-3 days and then head down to either Rhode-Alpes (annecy area) for a couple of days and then over to the loire valley for the last 2-3 days before flying home on the 30th.

Thank you so much for the information, will it be busy then in the areas of annecy and loire valley because of the school vacations?

Ester