We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence or Brussels??

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Provence or Brussels??

This is the first time I am posting on the travel forum, so I'm a little nervous. My husband and I will be staying in Paris in an apartment in the Latin Quarter for a week. We have 3 days after that and don't know where to go. We want someplace easy to get to by train and that is relaxing. We were thinking either Provence or Brussels. Don't want to rent a car either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Provence or Brussels??

Welcome Peggy! ...and don't be nervous. We're ordinary people who, like you,i travel, or we live in your destination and want to share our experience.

To answer your question, it would help to know how you narrowed your choices down to Provence or Brussels? What attracts you to these destinations? Provence is a large region. You could take a train to some of the larger towns(say, Avignon in or Aix en Provence) or perhaps, fly to Nice. What is your interest in this region?

A few more questions, do you have three full days in a destination or will travel be included in those days? From where are you leaving? Do you have to travel back to Paris? It's best to spend the night before your flight home in the city of your departure airport.

I see that you are from New Orleans, and to throw something else in, do you have any interest in the D Day sites? It's very easy to get there by train, and my thought was that three days would work quite well.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Provence or Brussels??

I haven't booked a flight out of France yet, so we don't have to leave from Paris. And we would have 3 full days after we check out of our Paris apartment. The only reason I picked Brussels and Provence is because it looked like a quick train ride. We wanted someplace quaint, maybe do some wine tasting and enjoy the countryside. We are open for any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your input.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
16,687 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Provence or Brussels??

My first instinct would be to say Provence, but it's really not that easy. 3 days isn't a lot of time, especially when you factor in travel times, and the need to get to the airport to fly home. For a trip like this I would recommend heading to the furthest destination first, to avoid backtracking to Paris for a last night before a flight home. Or I like to fly open-jaws, into one city and home from another.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
5,226 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Provence or Brussels??

Forgive me, but one more question? When are you traveling? I'm taking your response that the first of your three days will be at least a partial travel day. Will you be departing on your third? This will mean one full day in your destination, and if this is the case, you don't want to travel too far from Paris.

It's good that you haven't booked your flight home. Brussels, Nice, and Marseilles have international airports, and we fly Dellta to JFK from Nice. You are going to hear more about Provence on this forum, and those who know more about western Provence will share their expertise. In general, know that public transportation is limited when it comes to small villages.

5. Re: Provence or Brussels??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 05:16