We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire paris or tours

Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire paris or tours

We are staying in Paris for 7 days and then tour rural France by hire car for 12 days. Our first accomm is in Chinon for 2 days. We are undecided as to driving from Paris or train to Tours and pick up car there.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire paris or tours

A train will get you to Tours much faster than a car. Book from Paris to St-Pierre-des-Corps TGV station (just outside Tours) and pick up the rental car there.

For the best prices on on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Tickets go on sale 3 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs, and make bookings, at en.voyages-sncf.com/en but use Antarctic as the "Ticket collection country" to avoid being transferred to RailEurope USA, which has higher prices and does not list all the trains.

If you have trouble with voyages-sncf, www.capitainetrain.com is a private website which has the same prices.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire paris or tours

You could take the train but I find it a waste of money. It´s relatively easy to rent a car near your Paris hotel, (avoid train stations which charge a 45€ location surcharge) drive to the périphérique orbiting around to Porte d´Orléans transition to A6 then A10 to the Loire Valley. Driving will allow you to bypass Tours completely on your way to Chinon and stay on the autoroute that much longer. From your hotel in Paris to your hotel in Chinon, I dont´t think you will really spend that much more time than simply taking the train.

I would recommend the TGV to Tours Centre if you were only going for the day because the mini bus tours depart from just across the street at the Office de Tourisme. But if you are going to be in the Loire Valley for a few days, drive. You might also consider stopping by Chartres on your way just to see the Cathedral.

Loire Valley
Level Contributor
6,961 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire paris or tours

I disagree with Sarastro - if there is only two of you and you book early enough not only is the train 2 hours faster, it will cost less that the tolls and fuel between Paris and Tours, Tolls will be 22 €. fuel about 20€. Train tickets from Paris to Saint Pierre des Corps can be as low as 15€ each. Saint Pierre des Corps is the best place in the area to hire a car from.

I last drove from Tours to Paris in May 2007, whereas I do the trip by train at least a couple of times a year - it's just too much hassle and expense. I drive to Saint Pierre des Corps, park the car, catch the train

Edited: 21 February 2014, 10:24
Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris, Loire Valley
Level Contributor
22,162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire paris or tours

<<it will cost less that the tolls and fuel between Paris and Tours, Tolls will be 22 €. fuel about 20€.>>

This is about what you will pay for the location surcharge if you pickup a rental up at a train station, an expense which can be easily avoided if you pickup your rental at in town office in Paris. Plus you will be paying 20€ to 50€ each for train tickets.

A rental car picked up at a local office in Paris and driven to Chinon will save you money and I really doubt that from door to door it will take much longer than taking the train. The last time I did this was two weeks ago and I do it from time to time, always with a car rental.

If I were Wiz and coming to Paris from the Loire Valley I would take the train as well because no one needs a car in Paris but a car in the Loire Valley is probably essential.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,984 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire paris or tours

There you go: 4 replies and 2 opinions. There is no "right" answer to your question. Even experienced travellers have different opinions.

Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire paris or tours

Thank you all. I think husband is favouring train, more relaxing than driving out of Paris. Travelling late May so should be able to check out the cheaper fares. Pick up car in Tours for rest of our rural France visit.

7. Re: Car hire paris or tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2015, 05:19