We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

I'm looking at buying train tickets for a D-Day tour in April. I'm in the US and trying to buy them online. I don't have a chip and pin card. When I go to the US website that can mail me the tickets, the price is literally twice as much as the price on the SNCF website. The SNCF website will only let me buy the tickets if I say I'm in Europe and can pick them up with a chip and pin card from the automatic ticket machine. It seems my only options are to pay a ton through the US site, or buy them through the website (pretending to be French) and then pick them up from a manned booth. However, I emailed the SNCF website and they told me that even there I would need a chip and pin card. I've read other places online that you don't need a chip and pin card to pick up from a manned booth, as long as it is the exact card you used to book the tickets with. I'd love to just be able to print these tickets at home and not have to worry about a long line at the station, but I can't find out how to do that. Am I missing something here, what is the best way to buy these tickets from the US without a chip and pin card.

Thanks so much for any help

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Paris
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Bayeux Shuttle Multimedia Tours
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
OverlordTour
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
White Umbrella Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Paris, France
Level Contributor
17,222 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

try www.capitainetrain.com - you should be able to print the tickets at home.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
26,243 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

I bought tickets in the US and printed them at home -- bought from the official site.

If all else fails you can just buy them when you get there; of course you pay full walk up price then.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 16:25
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,898 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

Yes, most journeys will allow you to print your ticket at home (called e-billet), which should solve your problem.

However, some regional services will not. If you are booking a through journey where the first leg is on a TGV with a short second hop on a regional train, the full journey ticket may not show the e-ticket option. Try splitting the journey in two. The TGV leg should be able to be printed at home, giving you access to the cheap advance fares. The regional trains usually don't need reservations and have fixed fares, so you can just buy a ticket for that leg when you get to France.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

Just use www.capitainetrain.com. Same schedules, same pricing as SNCF>

Edited: 21 February 2014, 19:04
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,288 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

In the Intercités trains between Paris and Bayeux, voyages-sncf should offer you the print-at-home option: it does for me. If the only option is to collect from a ticket machine, you can select that option and then pick up from a staffed ticket office or an SNCF Boutique shop.

But, as others have said, you can get around all this by using Capitaine Train.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

Hey thanks so much guys,

I was able to get a print at home ticket through the capitain trane website. It was a way easier website than SNCF's site. Thanks for the advise

7. Re: Train tickets from Paris to Bayeux, no chip and pin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 05:26